Sorrento Travel Answers

change location
shirtlf's Profile Photo

Visiting Sorrento in May 2013

by shirtlf Online Now Mar 13, 2013 at 10:45 AM

Hi,
my wife and I will be flying to Naples from the UK in May this year, and I have booked a hotel on the outskirts of Sorrento ( Sant Agnello ) This is the first time in Italy for us and I am wondering if it is relatively easy to get from Naples airport to Sorrento by bus ? Also, I would be grateful for any tips on what to do and where to go whilst there. I believe that it is easy to get to Pompeii by train, so we will be visiting there. Any other suggestions would be gratefully received.
Thank you

Quote & Answer
16 Answers
  • mccalpin's Profile Photo

Re: Visiting Sorrento in May 2013

by mccalpin Online Now Mar 13, 2013 at 10:59 AM

Curreri runs a bus from Naples airport direct to S. Agnello, running about every 2 hours. See curreriviaggi.it/inglese/E_i... . I have not taken it, but I am told it is reliable, and should be simpler than the train (in this case).

You are right that you can easily take the Circumvesuviana train from Sorrento over to Pompeii (and don't forget Herculaneum and the other ruins in the area).

And since it is May, I imagine there should be plenty of transport out to Capri or the other islands...Capri is very pricey, but it's pretty and makes a nice day trip...

Bill

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • loksch's Profile Photo

by loksch Online Now Mar 13, 2013 at 11:02 AM

Hi,
    Bus will work from the airport to Sorrento but, depending on budget, one should investigate the cost of a private car. It has been some years since we did this...but, it was around $100. There are many buses from Sorrento down the Amalfi Drive...so you can visit Positano, Amalfi, Ravello, Pompeii, etc with ease.

• Ernie44's Profile Photo

by Ernie44 Online Now Mar 13, 2013 at 11:53 AM

We have been to Sorrento a number of times in the past five year’s, we have enjoyed it more with each visit, There are two ways to get to Sorrento by bus or train.
    I would recommend the Curreri bus. So long as the bus schedule is somewhat convenient for you, this bus is, in my opinion, the best way to go. We had to wait about an hour or so, but it was worth not having to commute to Naples and take the circumvesuviana (another hour trip).
    The bus departs from just outside the airport exit, and you pay the driver. There is a compartment for luggage storage, too.
    (Naples train station is well known for pick-pockets) As a seasoned traveler I have traveled just about every year since 1988 through out Europe, three years ago I had my wallet picked at that rail station because I did not put it back where I keep it when I travel, the result was very costly, it was a nightmare trying to get a call back to the USA to cancel my cards and get them to send me a new one, of which they did overnight. I hope my personal experience with the trains in Naples won’t make you have second thoughts about going, please just use caution if you choose the rail.

As for the Hotel Sant Agnello, I don’t know where it is located for me to make any suggestions except to see if you would need to pay for transportation to the center of town or is it within walking distance. One of the reasons we stayed in the Hotel Sorrento City because it is located in the center of the city of Sorrento, everything we wanted to do, shop, eat was walking distance to the train & bus station, where you can make day trips by train to Pompeii as well as the shopping area which has plenty of restaurants, the marina in very easy to get to if you want to go to Capri or the Amalfi Coast. If you would like more information about place to eat please let me know I’ll be more than happy to help.

Ernie44

1 member found this helpful

• leics's Profile Photo

by leics Online Now Mar 13, 2013 at 2:30 PM

I have always taken the excellent Curreri bus from outside Arrivals (and back to the airport again) and have always been very impressed.

I haven't visited in high season but, if I did, I think I would want to buy my ticket online in advance (simply because buses can and do fill up). You can do that by following the link given above.

Taking the train is not straightforward. You first need to get from the airport into Naples (taxi or bus) and then take the Circumvesuviana train from Napoli Garibaldi station (which adjoins, and is part of the same structure as, Napoli centrale station) to Sorrento (the end of that particular Circumvesuviana line). Trains are frequent and very cheap (less than 5 euro one-way) but this is a commuter line, so can be very busy at commuter times and also when schools/colleges close for the day (around 2pm).

Circumvesuviana timetables in English:

http://www.vesuviana.it/web/en

You are no more likely to be pickpocketed in Napoli Centrale (or Naples, come to that) than in any other large European railway station or crowded area (or, indeed, similar places in other continents). It is always sensible to be fully on guard against pickpocketing and petty theft, keeping cards & cash inside your clothing and not in any pockets with external access.

Sorrento is not a city as such: it is a fairly large town which links into coastal development towards Naples. It does have excellent transport links for exploring the surrounding area and, for that reason, makes a very good base imo.

You can easily visit Pompeii (Pompeii Scavi Ville dei Mysteri station), Herculaneum (Ercolano) and Oplontis/Villa Poppaea (Torre Annunziata) by using the Circumvesuviana train.

Regular ferries & hydrofoils run from Sorrento to Capri:

http://www.capri.net/en/ferry-schedule

and you can take the bus along the coast road (not in the least danerous but with some stunning views) to Positano and Amalfi:

sitasudtrasporti.it/public/t...

and from Amalfi up to Ravello:

Sant'Agata sui due Golfi is also worth a visit, high up above sorrento and with views of the two bays (hence its name):

I have info and tips about what to see/do etc in the places I've mentioned on my VT pages (except Sant'Agata).

I can personally recommend the Hotel Mignon Meuble in Sorrento, where I have stayed twice and with which I have been very pleased:

"Just as good on the second visit....." - Hotel Mignon Meuble Tip by leics

but there are plenty of other good places to stay. Have a look at www.booking.com and www.venere.com Both are reliable sites used by many VT-ers and both have extensive listings in Italy. Neither will take any money from you as long as you turn up.. Booking.com reviews can only be posted by those who have booked through the site and completed their stay, so I have found them to be particularly reliable.

1 member found this helpful

• hmb10's Profile Photo

by hmb10 Online Now Mar 13, 2013 at 10:58 PM

shirtlf wrote:
    Hi, my wife and I will be flying to Naples from the UK in May this year, and I have booked a hotel on the outskirts of Sorrento ( Sant Agnello ) This is the first time in Italy for us and I am wondering if it is relatively easy to get from Naples airport to Sorrento by bus ? Also, I would be grateful for any tips on what to do and where to go whilst there. I believe that it is easy to get to Pompeii by train, so we will be visiting there. Any other suggestions would be gratefully received. Thank you

I still remember my Sorrento experience..a few years ago now. I agree Pompeii a must,allow 3hrs min. Bus up to Mt Vesuvius..I remember it leaving at set times from near the train station at? bus drop off and pick up from car park at base of Vesuvius. We walked to the top..not difficult, great views over Naples sea pompeii etc,BUT the volcano itself was a disappointment, barely a bubble or wiff of smoke/sulpher...quite tame actually...probably better for the local population of course! Enjoyed a walk around the base,there were several to choose from,at least saw the lava paths etc.In relation to driving the Amalfi coast...the bus was bad enough! If your nerves and reflexes are not up to scratch,then make sure your travel and car insurance is!! However Amalfi coast is spectacular, Some good walks in and around Sorrento area..see LP walking in Italy,We did one from Positano..I think it translated as Walk Of The Gods.You will love Italy...all of which is a tourist delight!

• leics's Profile Photo

by leics Online Now Mar 13, 2013 at 11:58 PM

If you want to see an active volcanic landscape...fumaroles, sulphur smell, boiling-hot steam, bubbling mud pools...then the Solfatara in Pozzuoli (the other side of Naples to Sorrento) is much better than Vesuvius (which is generally inactive, thank goodness).

Pozzuoli is easy enough to get to from Sorrento via Circumvesuviana +Metropolitana and has its own Roman remains as well as the Solfatara:

"By Metro from Naples" - Pozzuoli Transportation Tip by leics

• shirtlf's Profile Photo

by shirtlf Online Now Mar 14, 2013 at 12:14 AM

Thanks very much everyone. I will do some research online and look at your VT pages, and will probably check back with you before we go, on anything I'm still unsure about. This is a surprise for my wife's 60th birthday, by the way - she knows I've booked to go somewhere, but she doesn't know where. She's always wanted to see Pompeii, so I know she will love it. I've actually booked for us to stay at Villa Margherita in S Agnello, which got mostly very good reviews on the site that I looked at, so fingers crossed.
    Thanks again.
    Les

• leics's Profile Photo

by leics Online Now Mar 14, 2013 at 12:19 AM

I'm sure you'll have a lovely time! And yes...do feel free to ask as and when the need arises. We'll always do our best to help. :-)

• Pawtuxet's Profile Photo

by Pawtuxet Online Now Mar 14, 2013 at 5:15 AM

My daughter and I visited several yrs. ago and we used a car rental to take us to our hotel in the hills overlooking the bay. Gorgeous! Sorrento is wonderful... and driving the Amalfi Coast just below it is an unforgettable adventure. Please review my page to see the fabulous coastline. Insanely beautiful.
    My husband did the Isle of Capri many yrs. prior and I wish I had gotten out there to see that. Take the time... should be a very memorable boat ride.

by shirtlf Online Now Mar 14, 2013 at 9:45 AM

Thanks very much everyone. I'll do some research online and read some of your pages and I'm sure I will be back to check on anything I'm not sure about, before we go.
    I've found that the older I get, the more wary I am about driving abroad, particularly in a country we've never been to before. So, we'll be sticking to public transport ( and the occasional taxi I suppose ) It's actually a surprise for my wife's 60th birthday and she's always wanted to see Pompeii, so I'm sure she'll love it. I've booked in at the Villa Margherita in S Agnello, which had mostly very good reviews on the site I looked at, so fingers crossed.
    Thanks again
    Les

• leics's Profile Photo

by leics Online Now Mar 14, 2013 at 10:52 AM

Amongst many pluses for Sorrento, its excellent public transport links really do make ideal for exploring.

Just a word of advice: if your wife's dream is Pompeii (it was mine too) make a very early start and get there for the 0830 opening time. I shared the site with about 10 other people when I did that (admittedly in Feb, but even so): it was blissful.

Tour groups tend to arrive from around 10am onwards and although Pompeii is a vast site sharing it with many others does detract from the experience and the atmosphere, imo. It's worth an early start to have it as much to yourselves as possible.

Even if you don't want to take an audioguide do ask at the audioguide place for the map & accompanying booklet (also available at Herculaneum and Villa Poppaea). Both are very useful indeed.

by shirtlf Online Now Mar 15, 2013 at 12:55 AM

leics wrote:
    Amongst many pluses for Sorrento, its excellent public transport links really do make ideal for exploring.

Just a word of advice: if your wife's dream is Pompeii (it was mine too) make a very early start and get there for the 0830 opening time. I shared the site with about 10 other people when I did that (admittedly in Feb, but even so): it was blissful.

Tour groups tend to arrive from around 10am onwards and although Pompeii is a vast site sharing it with many others does detract from the experience and the atmosphere, imo. It's worth an early start to have it as much to yourselves as possible.

Even if you don't want to take an audioguide do ask at the audioguide place for the map & accompanying booklet (also available at Herculaneum and Villa Poppaea). Both are very useful indeed.

Great tip, thanks again. BTW, it looks as though I'm going a bit senile, posting my previous "thank you" response twice, but the first time I tried to post, there was a message telling me it couldn't be done and to try again later, honest. Technology eh ?

• Re: Visiting Sorrento in May 2013

by valscamp Online Now Mar 15, 2013 at 1:51 AM

We visited Sorrento in May 2012. We took a bus from Sorrento back to Naples and this was very easy to do. The bus and trains leave from the railway station. We caught the train from Pompeii to Sorrento, that was relatively easy although we had luggage and we had to climb up a bit of a hill to the railway station. We were only in Sorrento for 2 nights but visited Pompeii on the way. Spent the next day going across by boat to Capri, this was lovely and worth visiting. Took a open top taxi up to the top of the hill to the shopping area and returned by cable car or funicular to the boat. Sorrento is easy to walk around, felt very safe, many outdoor dining restaurants. Lovely small lanes with shops and stall to shop. Views are beautiful, climate was warm. We loved Sorrento, one of our favourite places in Italy. Lots of Lemon and Orange trees.

• leics's Profile Photo

by leics Online Now Mar 15, 2013 at 12:44 PM

shirtlf: you are no more senile than the rest of us! :-)

I too experienced some posting difficulties from the UK this morning. It can (very) occasionally happen because of time differences and site maintenance.

• johnbyjohn1's Profile Photo

by johnbyjohn1 Online Now Mar 18, 2013 at 7:04 AM

Hi, a nice little Hotel in Sant'Agnello is Casa Mazzola, is quite clean and very easy to find. Near by there there is a local restaurant, La Rosa, local food and very good price.

• Ernie44's Profile Photo

by Ernie44 Online Now Mar 27, 2013 at 1:52 PM

I hope you enjoy your trip to Sorrento.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines