Sonoma Travel Answers

change location

What to wear

by goneill Online Now Aug 17, 2009 at 2:12 PM

I am going to Sonoma over labor Day with a group of women. What do I wear at night when we go out and what to wear during the day?

Quote & Answer
6 Answers
  • risse73's Profile Photo

Re: What to wear

by risse73 Online Now Aug 17, 2009 at 4:40 PM

Depends on the activity you will undertake. If doing wine tours during the day, a casual chic outfit will do, and for a more lavish nighttime outing, an elegant ensemble will do. If doing more rugged/laidback activities during the day/night, then casual wear will do.

Good Luck & Enjoy Beautiful Sonoma!

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • travelgourmet's Profile Photo

by travelgourmet Online Now Aug 17, 2009 at 11:26 PM

Looking at it from a man's point of view, I find that one is overdressed in Sonoma if a elegant ensemble is worn. I feel that more of a concern would be warmth at night. A light sweater may do. During the day, very casual is the call, as most tourists are interested in wine tasting and not at a fashion conscious event as if they were on parade. It's wine country. Wine tasting is the star. Even the Lodge at Sonoma with it's Carneros Bistro & Wine Bar is causal dress. The temperature could reach the mid 80's F during the day and get down to a cool 57 F at night.

by risse73 Online Now Aug 18, 2009 at 11:34 AM

If I'm attending an elegant 4-course dinner in Sonoma at nights, I will not be caught dead wearing casual wear, that's for sure. And even for daytime wine tasting, I would wear a funky/casual chic outfit, rather than raggedy clothing. Then again, that's me. Unfortunately, most Californians are always enrobed in their beach fashion complete with flip flops almost all the time, and that's the truth. I've lived in So. Cal for many years and know the scene.

• travelgourmet's Profile Photo

by travelgourmet Online Now Aug 18, 2009 at 5:42 PM

Perhaps some Californians wear only beach wear and flip flops and some may even wear raggedy clothing, but this idea of chic vs casual is entertwined as my belief of casual is based on California casual, not beach wear. Check out a Chico's or Black & White store for California casual. It might surprise you. Of course, casual can have a different meaning to anyone around the world. I have never heard of casual as being raggedy (Tattered or worn-out; ragged).

• jumpingwithnorman's Profile Photo

by jumpingwithnorman Online Now Aug 19, 2009 at 9:20 AM

Sonoma - wear comfortable shoes for walking. Even at night, it's nice to take a stroll. Low heels unless you're comfortable walking in higher heels. Wedge/platforms are fine. Nothing too fancy in Sonoma. Bring a light jacket as it may turn cold at night (around 60-degree Fahrenheit). Bring a bathing suit too as you may want to either use the jacuzzi/spa at your hotel or whatever.

by risse73 Online Now Aug 19, 2009 at 1:32 PM

When I said casual, I meant "pure casual," which is really off-putting even for a wonderful daytime wine tasting event in Sonoma. I've seen people (must be Californians, which is not offensive by any means, I still consider myself one) who have only worn flip flops, and tattered/raggedy-looking jeans/shorts + a regular T-shirt, while wine-tasting during the day. A casual/funky chic outfit is still "casual," but with flair & style matching it with nice comfortable walking shoes. As I've said about the nighttime outing, if it's more of an elegant affair, dress the part.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines