Sonoma Travel Answers

change location

Napa or Sonoma?

by oceansobe Online Now Aug 14, 2008 at 5:52 AM

Hi everyone!!!
I am trying to figure out where is a better location to stay, Napa or Sonoma downtown area.
I want to visit the wineries during the day, and I am not sure which of the two will offer beter and more things to do after.
Will wait for your reply to make my hotel reservation.
Thanks!

Quote & Answer
6 Answers
  • acprincess's Profile Photo

Re: Napa or Sonoma?

by acprincess Online Now Aug 14, 2008 at 7:46 AM

The city of Napa is a slight distance from the nice part of the Napa Valley. It's OK, and has some nice bits, but it's a small city. Yountville and Calistoga and St Helena are way nicer and more suitable for tourism.

That said, the Napa Valley in general is more chichi than Sonoma. Not that Sonoma isn't chichi, just not as much. I like it better - it's a cute town. You can walk around, and it's got some music at night. If you're really rich and want to be pampered unmercifully and buy lots of expensive doodads, go to the Napa Valley, otherwise, Sonoma might be more fun.

Keep in mind that they aren't far from each other. You can easily see both valleys.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • GracesTrips's Profile Photo

by GracesTrips Online Now Aug 14, 2008 at 8:58 AM

I love Napa. And, Sonoma is close enough that you it onlys takes 30 minutes to drive over. The wineries are a little more hidden in Sonoma but you can find some great ones there. However, Napa, the wineries are more organized, easy to find plus it's absolutely beautiful. All my Sonoma and Napa tips are posted on my Napa travel page. The hotels will be less expensive in Sonoma.

• Re: Napa or Sonoma?

by oceansobe Online Now Aug 14, 2008 at 9:33 AM

Hello...
    Can you suggest a place to stay in Napa. The thing is that I had reserved a room at the Napa River Inn (down town), but found out there is construction going on at the hotel which will not be finished until next year, there is also a lot of constructions going on in town. Now I am a bit lost because I am going there to relax and have a good time, not to hear a lot of noise.
    Thanks for your input.
    Regards

• Roadquill's Profile Photo

by Roadquill Online Now Aug 14, 2008 at 12:12 PM

Check out the Hotel St. Helena, right in town, and smaller, older place with character.

• Roadquill's Profile Photo

by Roadquill Online Now Aug 14, 2008 at 12:13 PM

We like the Bel Abri in Napa, but you need to get out of town to hit the wineries.

• orcoastgirl's Profile Photo

by orcoastgirl Online Now Aug 18, 2008 at 12:07 PM

We like Yountville, it is close to the wineries and great restaurants. The Villagio or the Yountville Inn are both wonderful places to stay in Yountville. In St. Helena, we like the Harvest Inn there. Sonoma is also a very cool place, the Sonoma Mission Inn is our favorite place for lodging in this area. Any questions feel free to ask! :)

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines