Sonoma Travel Answers

change location

Sweet Wine in Napa Valley and Sonoma

by 18carat Online Now Jul 10, 2008 at 7:04 PM

I like sweet to semi sweet wines and will be visiting Napa and Sonoma in the Fall. Are there any wineries that has some sweet wines on their lists e.g. dessert wine, port wine, riesling, fruit wines?

Quote & Answer
5 Answers
  • Beausoleil's Profile Photo

Re: Sweet Wine in Napa Valley and Sonoma

by Beausoleil Online Now Jul 10, 2008 at 9:43 PM

Yes, many of them offer dessert wines. You can check web sites of wineries that interest you and see what they offer. We haven't been over for months and don't usually buy wines there since we live in the Shenandoah Valley (California) region and support our local wineries.

Type Napa or Sonoma into the VT Search Window above (or do a Google or Yahoo search) and you will get lots of web sites for wineries. They usually list the types of wines on offer both for sale and for tasting. You can always ask at the wineries too. They are good about telling you where to go for what you want.

Enjoy your trip!

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • GracesTrips's Profile Photo

by GracesTrips Online Now Jul 10, 2008 at 11:46 PM

Most wineries will offer a variety of wines. So, you are bound to come across some sweet wines.
    Heavier sweet wines are the ports and muscats. Lighter sweet wines are the Rieslings. I'm not sure if you will be able to find any fruit wines - such as plum wines.
    Napa and Sonoma in the fall is fabulous! The weather is fantastic! Be sure to seek out a farmer's market or festival.

• travelgourmet's Profile Photo

by travelgourmet Online Now Jul 11, 2008 at 12:00 PM

A spoonful of sugar makes the wine go down. The brix level (sugar content) of sweet wines does help the palate of those that look to sweetness in their wines. The tannins in reds usually give the same people the fits. Ask at the wineries you go to for a low tannin white wine to taste and you may enjoy it, even though it may not be a dessert wine or riesling. Remember, you can spit( yes, that's polite)the taste out into a container that should be nearby if you so choose. It will be very crowded in the fall with the crush in full swing. Go early and try to avoid Saturday or Sunday, if you don't like crowds.

• Re: Sweet Wine in Napa Valley and Sonoma

by 18carat Online Now Jul 11, 2008 at 8:08 PM

Thank you so much for the tips! I have a few more questions though, I have spent a whole day on the computer going through wineries in Napa and Sonoma and they all have Tours and Wine Tasting. Given 4 days, it's impossible to tour all of them. I'll appreciate some recommendations on the wineries that are a 'must see' for scenery, 'must try' for their wine and food pairings and 'must tour' for their beauty. Are the tours necessary? Are we able to visit the wineries without booking a tour but still be able to enjoy it. Of course, there are some wineries that is well worth paying for a tour. Also, my last question... my boyfriend is not a huge fan of wine...do the wineries mind if I pay for a tasting for myself but I shared the wine with him or are they really strict?

• Beausoleil's Profile Photo

by Beausoleil Online Now Jul 12, 2008 at 10:54 AM

I'm no wine expert, but you might enjoy St. Supery just north of Napa on Rt. 29. They have wine tastings but they also have a museum-type place where you can go from container to container and sniff various flowers, berries, leaves, etc. and relate them to what you are supposed to be smelling in the wines you taste. It is fun to go there first and see what you are supposed to be smelling; then go to the wineries and see if you can pick out the various aromas. Outside there is a small vineyard with wine grapes labeled by variety and you may walk through the vineyard and pick and taste the various grapes.

Another favorite of ours is V. Sattui (outside St. Helena on Rt. 29). They have a terrific gourmet deli and picnic grounds so you can get a picnic lunch, a bottle of wine and sit outside under huge oak trees having lunch. You may have to share a table but that's part of the fun. We've met people from all over the world there.

As far as tours, if you don't mind tasting and spitting, drive. If you like to swallow the wine and want to visit a lot of wineries, it might be a good idea to do a tour so you aren't driving with all the other slightly to greatly impaired drivers. If you must drive, the Silverado Trail in the Napa Valley has less traffic . . . and fewer wineries.

Some wineries still don't charge for tastings; most now do but I'm sure they wouldn't mind your friend coming in with you and not tasting. When he's driving, my husband never tastes since he's not fond of spitting. (As I said, we are not wine experts!)

. . . or you can come over to the Shenandoah Valley near Sacramento and taste for free. LOL

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines