Sonoma Travel Answers

change location
belvie1's Profile Photo

Looking for a driver...

by belvie1 Online Now Jan 29, 2004 at 7:04 AM

I'll be visiting Sonoma in May 2004 with a group of 6 people. We'll be staying at the "Inn at Sonoma". We'd like to hire a driver to take us around, but have only been able to find limos and tour buses. It seems wasteful to rent a car and then rent a limo. Does anyone know of a driver that will take us around in our rental car. Thanks for your help!! cgorglione@yahoo.com

Quote & Answer
4 Answers
  • karenincalifornia's Profile Photo

Re: Looking for a driver...

by karenincalifornia Online Now Jan 29, 2004 at 10:29 AM

This is a slightly different idea, but have you considered bicycling? Your inn has bicycles available for the guests, I, pretty sure. Most of Sonoma is fairly flat and it is a popular place for bicycling. I live just south of Sonoma but i"m not aware of a way to hire a reputable driver without a car. Besides, I think if you look at your rental contract, it won't allow you to do this. Moreover, if the hired driver causes an accident, you might find that the rental company will hold you 100% responsible (loss damage waiver probably won't apply) and your own insurance company might not cover it. If it were me, I wouldn't do this because of the liability. You should still seriously consider the limo idea. It's a hoot and with 6 people you can spread out the cost. Hope these ideas are helpful. You'll have a great time in one of most beautiful counties.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • madamx's Profile Photo

Re: Looking for a driver...

by madamx Online Now Jan 29, 2004 at 11:18 AM

I was wondering if 7 people in a car would be a pretty tight squeeze anyway. I also say go for the limo; my husband and I were on our honeymoon in San Francisco in 2001 and a limo and driver (with wet bar heh heh) was approx800 Canadian; we spent the day in Sonoma. Split amongst 6 people, that wouldn't be so bad, and it included lunch at Viansa winery, plus a full 8 hours of touring. The driver was also very knowledgeable and tailored the day to what our interests were and what we wanted to see. Would you consider just driving yourselves around? When we were in SF, there were plenty of free maps and information available, and the area seemed easy enough to get around.

• Rixie's Profile Photo

Re: Re: Looking for a driver...

by Rixie Online Now Jan 29, 2004 at 2:12 PM

Chris, I was also curious to know why you don't want to drive yourself in your rental car. Is it because you'll be visiting wineries and sampling the wine? If you'll be in Sonoma for a few days, you could assign a designated driver for each day.

• karenincalifornia's Profile Photo

Re: Re: Looking for a driver...

by karenincalifornia Online Now Jan 30, 2004 at 7:56 AM

Yubert, If you sweeten the pot with one of your elk hunting safaris and top the day off with roasted gecko a l'orange at Chez Yubert, I'll just bet you'll be able to name your price...

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines