Sonoma Travel Answers

change location
TRimer's Profile Photo

Spa Experience in Wine Country

by TRimer Online Now Dec 24, 2003 at 3:30 PM

For my upcoming (big) birthday in June, I am planning a trip with my friends to wine country. We want to stay in a quaint place with a spa, that won't break the bank. Any suggestions? Traci

Quote & Answer
6 Answers
  • brotherleelove's Profile Photo

Re: Spa Experience in Wine Country

by brotherleelove Online Now Dec 24, 2003 at 8:57 PM

Use Google.com to look up the spas in Calistoga as well as the many B&B's that operate there, you'll find something in your budget for sure, and Calistoga has great restaurants as well.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • brotherleelove's Profile Photo

Re: Re: Spa Experience in Wine Country

by brotherleelove Online Now Dec 24, 2003 at 8:59 PM

P.S. That's Dr. Wilkinson's, and there are much better places for your relaxation. By the way, V. Sattui Winery in St. Helena has great wines and a fantastic on-premises gourmet deli for picnics.

• karenincalifornia's Profile Photo

by karenincalifornia Online Now Dec 26, 2003 at 9:58 AM

I agree with the previous posters that Calistoga is where you want to go. I highly recommend the Pink Mansion in Calistoga. It's a wonderful, quaint B&B in a victorian house. The rooms are beautifully appointed and the breakfast is delicious. It has everything but the mud baths, but you can still take advantage of the Calistoga mud baths by going to any one of the nearby places that feature the baths. Lavender Hill spa is one such Calistoga spa. I'm sure the Pink Mansion would make an appointment for you. http://www.pinkmansion.com/ http://www.lavenderhillspa.com/ Sounds restful! You've picked a great place to celebrate your birthday! Karen

• TRimer's Profile Photo

Re: Re: Spa Experience in Wine Country

by TRimer Online Now Dec 26, 2003 at 9:02 PM

Thanks for all the great responses. I will have to share it with my friends and see what they think. Traci

• AllisonWundrland's Profile Photo

by AllisonWundrland Online Now Jan 3, 2004 at 11:41 PM

My favorite spa is Osmosis in Freestone. It is about an hour and 20 min north of San Fran. The town of freestone is quite quaint, but it is near EVERYTHING. Within 30 miles in any direction you have the beach at Bodega Bay, vinyards in Sonoma County, and giant redwoods at Armstrong Grove. Osmosis is such a unique experience. First, they have you change into silk kimonos. Then you sit at your own private Chinese garden and sip tea. Then you can have something unique called an enzyme bath. It is similar to sawdust in a huge sandbox that is naturally heated by enzymes. It's so warm a toasty, and wonderful for your skin. Then you rinse off, and walk though a beautiful garden and get a great massage in an outdoor pagoda. It is soooo amazing, and if I remember correctly, it didn't break the bank. Their website is www.osmosis.com Best of luck, and enjoy your trip!

• Re: Re: Spa Experience in Wine Country

by kawh Online Now Apr 5, 2004 at 10:19 PM

i am your spa expert!!! i stay in calistoga all the time.. most will break the bank. cheapest bet in town is upstairs from a restaurant/bar and has no spa of its own. it is called Calistoga inn, restaurant and brewery - about100 - Phone: (707) 942-4101 calistogamap.com/frame/lo_ca... BUT they do not have a spa... you can go to the BEST spa in town (indian springs) and get a massage or whatever for90 or so and hang out at their amazing naturally heated pool all day. (it costs about 300.00 to stay at indian springs.) another inexpensive one is Nance's... but after almost 100 years, they had a big fire last November.... have to call and see if they are open. they have their own mineral pool (small) and mud. another is to stay at hideaway inn...707-942-4102... advantage is that they are cute little "i love lucy" looking cottages and you can get two beds in the bedroom plus a pull-out bed in the little living room... and there is a kitchen for cooking together if you want. they have an ok pool, but it is not mineral water. again.... i can't recommend indian springs highly enough to spend your spa time... if on a budget, save money on the room and spend the day at indian springs. calistoga spa and hot springs (9426269) has a good pool and BIG jacuzzi that is covered... and they will let you drink sensibly in the jacuzzi ... lots of fun... not too very expensive. warning... i have already booked calistoga for my birthday may 3, and many places are fully booked (rooms) ALSO they will all require a 2 night stay. one last thought... last year i had my big birthday at vichy springs about 1 hour north and it was fabulous. if you don't know about vichy's water, read about it online. it's truly special... but only really great when the weather is HOT. good luck- let me know if you know of any spas that should not be missed--- wherever they may be. kimberly

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines