Songkhla Travel Answers

change location
Mirhie's Profile Photo

To Thepa or not

by Mirhie Online Now Jan 28, 2013 at 5:58 AM

I am considering to retire in Thepa, however I am unable to find any information about the area, such as is it more agricultural and is it possible to find a free stand house to buy near the beach. Are there any suggestions as to where to buy, What are the logistics in the area and if I should open a conflict resolution center and English classes would there be a market for it.I would like to operate this on a non profit basis are there many other such facilities for youth of the area? How can I access more information about the District etc. Should I be considering another district closer to the Songkhla university and is there quite a large expat community etc.

Quote & Answer
1 Answer
  • SirHalberd's Profile Photo

    Re: To Thepa or not

    by SirHalberd Online Now Jan 28, 2013 at 6:25 PM

    Unless you are a Thai citizen, or you are coming from Malaysia, with some sort of special waiver to live in Thailand, foreigners can not just move to Thailand and live as long as they want. You must apply for a retirement visa. If you are over 50 years old and have a verifiable pension or enough money in the bank you shouldn't have a problem with a retirement visa. Thai Visa Expat Forum has info on retirement in Thailand.

    I have been to and through Hat Yai a few times. This part of Thailand has not been on the top of my list of places to live at but I suppose if you have been there and like this area - go for it! Technically, you cannot work in Thailand without a work visa. They are not easy to obtain. A foreigner can not buy land, he can buy into a condo though.

    For teaching consult the Ajarn Thailand Teachers Forum. For teaching kids there will probably be a background search to weed out pervs.

    " retire in Thepa."

    Never heard about this place before. THEPHA District, SONGKHLA Province. If you have never been to this area - visit first! This area shows up in State Department and British Foreign Office (FCO) tourist warnings concerning "political problems." This Thai Visa Southern Thailand section may have someone with personal knowledge who can advise you.

    If you ever buy anything expensive - such as a condo - have a couple different lawyers working in your behalf! And DON'T trust any fellow foreigner who "has a good deal on a condo" because some of the big property scams are run by foreigners!

    Up to you.

    Be the first to rate this answer!

    Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines