Somalia Travel Answers

change location

Moving to Puntland - advice needed

by UN_Traveller Online Now Sep 15, 2007 at 1:32 PM

Hi there,
Possibly not usual question on this forum, but I will be moving to Puntland (Bosaso) in a week or so, and wanted to see if anyone has any real updated specific information that may be of use.
First, I am trying to look into flights from Geneva, and not sure if I should consider going via Djibouti or Addis (have no great desire to go rushing off to Mogadishu)
Second, any info anyone can send me on general issues such as what type of electrical plugs, real security situation in Puntland, etc gratefully appreciated.
Third - the old visa question. Is it realistic to get both an Ethiopian and Eritrean visa in my passport, or will one or the other country be a bit pissy about this. Do I need a visa in advance for Djibouti if I ending flying via there (given that I will need to spend a night) or can I get it at the airport. And as for Somalia, does anyone have any recent info on how I could proceed with a visa given that the Embassy in London is now closed.

Thanks in advance for any advice given, as I prefer to arrive somewhere (especially when moving to a new country) with as much realistic and recent info as possible.

Quote & Answer
4 Answers
  • maykal's Profile Photo

Re: Moving to Puntland - advice needed

by maykal Online Now Sep 17, 2007 at 10:17 AM

You're moving there in a week, and you're asking these sorts of questions?! If you've got a job there, surely your company or organization should be able to arrange your visa and give you better travel information.

A couple of VT members have been to Somaliland recently. Try these pages: "THEY NEED YOUR HELP ! WELCOME TO SOMALILAND !" - Somalia by DAO
    "Trip to Somalia" - Somalia by Adam911
    or try messaging DAO or Hunwagner directly (use the member search box in the corner...), as they might not check the forums very often.
    Don't think anyone has been to Puntland recently though.

Other than that, you might have more luck on the Lonely Planet Thorn Tree: http://thorntree.lonelyplanet.com/

Hope this helps, and hope you build a page about Bosaso one day, as it sounds a very interesting place.

;@P

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Re: Moving to Puntland - advice needed

by UN_Traveller Online Now Sep 17, 2007 at 2:18 PM

Thanks anyway. Yes, I wasn't expecting too much info to be able to be provided here, but thought there was an off-chance that someone who had recently worked there might log in.... Puntland is obviously not somewhere where many people would want to - or should go. I ask these questions a week before I leave though, as I was only requestd for the position a few days ago - it is posting to an emergency place, so time is generally of the essence, and I am (almost) used to having to be somewhere within 2 weeks. I checked out the postings on Somaliland, but finally did get an answer from someone on thorntree who does sometimes go there for NGO work, who was able to give me some feedback. Have to wait a fw more days for my official briefing, but wanted advice before I go to see what to pack as well!

And yes, I will look at adding info to a Somalia page, but I'm sure most of it will be able security!!

p.s. almost went to work in Kassala in Jan. so enjoyed all your info about the place..

Cheers

by UN_Traveller Online Now Sep 17, 2007 at 2:24 PM

another p.s. , hope you are enjoying Durham and being back at school. I did my undergad there in the Middle East department (CMEIS), also with Persian added on... Guess will see how much use it is in Somalia!

by Hashis Online Now Feb 22, 2009 at 11:39 PM

Hi there, i read this very late. Am from this part of the world and would have helped but now i imagine it is too late. How is ur impression of the place.
    Have not been there now for 10 years.

regards

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular Somalia Travel Answer Locations