Somalia Travel Answers

change location
MarkE11's Profile Photo

Current travel info

by MarkE11 Online Now May 15, 2007 at 5:29 AM

Given the current situation in Somalia, is any travel possible in the country? The UK FCO don't advise it, and I'd obviously want to steer well clear of Mogadishu and conflict areas. But are there any beach locations in the north (Puntland?) that are safe to travel in?
Thanks!

Quote & Answer
2 Answers
  • kilo_fox's Profile Photo

Re: Current travel info

by kilo_fox Online Now May 15, 2007 at 11:02 PM

If you "obviously want to steer well clear of Mogadishu and conflict areas" then you should simply not enter Somalia!! No, there is no travel possible!! There is no infrastrucutre whatsoever!! I was recently in Somalia, for work, not for holidays(!!) and I find it a very odd idea to go to the beach in Somalia where the *** is really hitting the fan and the population, especially the children and women, as always, are suffering so much.... It's in Puntland where two aidworkers of Care were kidnapped a couple of days ago!! Don't go there!!! ...unless it's part of your holiday plan being kidnapped and/or killed!!! Sorry if I sound a bit harsh, but as I said, I've been there and I've seen....

Said that, there is an area in the very North East, called Somaliland, which is part of Somalia, but so-called independent but a recognised state, that's why it is de facto part of Somalia, whatever...... It seems there are travellers going there, have a look at the older postings in the same branch. I don't know enough about that place, so I don't want to give a comment.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Re: Current travel info

by Insomnia07 Online Now Aug 16, 2007 at 6:27 AM

I worked in Somalia as a foreign correspondent and I totally agree with the above comment. Somalia is not a tourist destination, it has real problems. Travelling there will only put you in very grave danger.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular Somalia Travel Answer Locations