Solomon Islands Travel Answers

change location
Mateosh's Profile Photo

Guadalcanal Trekking or Kwaio Village Visits

by Mateosh Online Now May 2, 2011 at 7:45 PM

My friend and I are visiting the Solomon Islands for only 4 days (almost 4 days). We arrive at Honiara on May 28th at 1020am and depart Honiara on May 31st at 130pm.

Can anyone recommend a good day 2 1/2 day-2 night trek into the mountains outside Honiara?

We are avid trekkers and pretty fit and the I believe the rougher the trek usually the more rewarding it is. I am hoping for rain forest and some remote villages. I will hire a guide and a jeep to get us aways into the mountains before we start trekking. Also we will bring trekking gear.

I am always trying to get off the beaten path and trek or just see as much of a place as I can with a short period of time. With this in mind I'm debating one of two ideas. The first staying on Guadalcanal and trekking as stated above and the other visiting the Eastern traditional Kwaio on the island of Malaita.

Now I have contacted Ronnie the guide who takes tourists to visit the Kwaio. In all reality is it possible to visit the Kwaio with my itinerary? This providing I find an early morning boat to Auki from Honiara on May 29th. I would then need to be back to Honiara for my flight on May 31st at 130pm.

How reliable are the flight on Solomon Air from Auki?

Thanks
Matt

Quote & Answer
1 Answer
  • Ozziegiraffe's Profile Photo

Re: Guadalcanal Trekking or Kwaio Village Visits

by Ozziegiraffe Online Now Feb 15, 2013 at 4:57 AM

I imagine you have already done your trip, and discovered that a 4-day time frame is impossible for anyone hoping to do a trek to Kwaio territory, whch is a long way from Auki, with no roads. Flights to and from Auki are generally reliable, though last year, the airport was closed for several months due to a land dispute. The 360 Discovery, a modern boat, does daly return trips from Honiara to Auki.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular Solomon Islands Travel Answer Locations