Solomon Islands Travel Answers

change location

Diving the Solomons

by allsvns Online Now Jul 31, 2008 at 2:48 PM

Has anyone recently been to or by word of mouth know of a respectable dive resort/ live on boat in the Solomon Island areas? I am thinking of traveleing her but have heard rumors that accomodations are poor and the islands are in a state of civil unrest. Any advice?

Quote & Answer
2 Answers
  • Marianne2's Profile Photo

Re: Diving the Solomons

by Marianne2 Online Now Jul 31, 2008 at 7:06 PM

Hello, and welcome to VT.

I haven't been to the Solomons in a couple of years, but the website below provides some information for you. There is excellent snorkeling and diving in this largely unknown/undervisited country. (I had my own sailboat there, so didn't use accommodation). The Bilikiki Company has two live-aboard dive boats that look like they might suit your purposes. Please note that the rainy/cyclone season is about November-March, so I'd recommend avoiding those months, if possible.

Also, from what I hear lately, the political situation has settled down, so (for myself at least), I wouldn't worry about going there. It's lovely and exotic!

http://www.infobilikiki.com/faq.php

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • brewjohnson's Profile Photo

Re: Diving the Solomons

by brewjohnson Online Now Aug 11, 2008 at 3:49 PM

As Marianne stated above the Billiki live aboards are good options (the boats aren't anything to write home about, but they'll take you to all the good dive spots). My wife and I spent several days at Sanbis resort in Gizo. It was amazing. It was started by a Swiss guy who married a local girl and its an ecolodge of a very high standard. They have a dive operation, their kitchen makes excellent meals. All in all, a great place to stay and to dive from in Gizo. I believe it was not affected by the earthquake/tsunami last year, but you'll want to contact them to find out (you can find information here: http://www.solomonwatersport.com).

In Honiara (the capital), we stayed at the King Solomon hotel. Its one of the nicer places in Honiara and, while nothing special (motel standards in the US), it was a decent place to stay in Honiara.

All in all, while you won't find many 1st world niceties in the Solomons, its a great destination for the adventure minded and the diving is incredible.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular Solomon Islands Travel Answer Locations