Sofia Travel Answers

change location

Sofia/Belgrade Advice

by bckennedy Online Now May 5, 2008 at 2:18 PM

Hey All,

I am an American student hoping to travel to travel from nothern greece through Bulgaria, Seria, and Montenegro to eventually take a ferry back to Italy. I had a couple questions I hope someone could help me with.

1. I have around 5 days to make it back to Italy and was wondering what places you'll recommend I should stop in along the way. I was thinking Sofia and Belgrade but am open to pretty much anything as long as i can get there by train or bus.

2. I would be traveling by myself, are there any places in Serbia or Bulgaria that I should defintely avoid going alone?

Finally, I will be doing all this starting May 22nd, so if anyone else has a similar plan and wanted to meet up, let me know.

Thanks,

Bruce

Quote & Answer
1 Answer
  • Re: Sofia/Belgrade Advice

by ger4444 Online Now May 7, 2008 at 10:58 AM

Coming from Greece you will probably cross Plovdiv, Bulgarian largest rail- and road hub. Its more beautifull than Sofia and you can spend 2 or 3 days there. It has a well preserved old town, one of countries most beautifull displaying the famous National Revival architecture. these are typical renaissance/baroque houses with colourfull facades and amazing interiors with exquisite woodcarvings. it has also the countries largest Roman Amfitheater, ruins off the first settlements by the Thraciers -- 8000 years old -- old baths, and mosques from the Ottoman period. 30 km south of the town there is a famous monastery. (Bachkovo). The town has a great nightlife with many pubs. The town is been one of the oldest non stop inhabited towns of Europe.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines