change location

Did you mean?

Try your search again
    Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Be the First to Answer

• csuresh's Profile Photo

North Wales - Driving route - Tips

by csuresh Online Now 7 hours ago

I am planning to take the driving route starting from Halkyn where I am staying on Day 1 and follow Llandudno, Conwy, Llanfairpwllgwyngyll, Caernarfon, Porthmadog, Bala Lake and Aberystwyth. I wanted to include Holyhead, but seem to be a long travel. Can anyone suggest what I can add or remove in my route? I will be travelling with 2 kids (aged 9 and 5) and will be interested in any short stop-over on the route. Aberystwyth will be stay place on Day 2.

more
    • csuresh's Profile Photo

North Wales - Driving route - Tips

by csuresh Online Now 7 hours ago

I am planning to take the driving route starting from Halkyn where I am staying on Day 1 and follow Llandudno, Conwy, Llanfairpwllgwyngyll, Caernarfon, Porthmadog, Bala Lake and Aberystwyth. I wanted to include Holyhead, but seem to be a long travel. Can anyone suggest what I can add or remove in my route? I will be travelling with 2 kids (aged 9 and 5) and will be interested in any short stop-over on the route. Aberystwyth will be stay place on Day 2.

3 Answers 4 hours ago
    • Good time to climb Snowdon?

by asahoo Online Now Jan 16, 2014 at 12:49 PM

I appreciate the fact that the weather can change drastically in this part of Wales but as a general observation, would April be a good time for the climb?

I apologize for asking a question that may have been repeatedely asked.

4 Answers Jan 19, 2014 at 2:49 PM
    • NeilW22's Profile Photo

equipment for walking snowdon

by NeilW22 Online Now Oct 7, 2013 at 2:21 AM

my wife and i would like to walk snowdon early next year.as beginners what sort of equipmenr would you advise

5 Answers Oct 7, 2013 at 12:37 PM
    • dhdear's Profile Photo

Cottages in Snowdonia for May 1st & 2nd

by dhdear Online Now Apr 26, 2010 at 11:32 AM

Hello VT friends!

We are travelling this May 1st weekend to Snowdonia for 2 nights. 6 adult + 2 kids. Does anyone know a decent Cottage around? We checked on the internet, but guess we are now too late, all are full. :(
      Please help

Thanks
      dh

7 Answers May 5, 2010 at 11:52 AM
    • Snowdon by Train

by chr.s Online Now Feb 19, 2010 at 12:47 PM

Hi there,

We're trying to plan a trip in Summer, with the aim of walking up Snowdon, but can only travel by train and by foot - although possibly by bike if the trains allow it. The plan is to climb Snowdon, then move on to Scafell and then Ben Nevis by the end of the week... in theory at least.

What I'd like to know is where would be a good place to head for to pitch a tent that's fairly near to a train station, but also has relatively good access to the peak. We don't need an electricity hook-up, but sanitation is a definite plus. A view would be great as well as a few local attractions, but accessibility is the most important factor.

Any suggestions, anyone?

Thanks in advance
      Chris

21 Answers May 9, 2010 at 12:34 PM
    • Help to choose what to see in Snowdonia in 3 days

by zalek Online Now Jul 6, 2009 at 3:34 PM

Hi there.
      We have a rough plan prepared for our trip to Snowdonia and need and advice to make sure we do not miss any 'must see/ be there'. We are mainly interested in nature - amazing views and great waterfalls and other wonders of nature (something of which there is plenty in Snowdonia), perhaps an old castle. We are certainly not that much interested in towns and villages and museums.

Short climbs can be managed but my friends by no means are hikers, so climbing any mountains out of question. If you think there is something really worth viewing that is missing from our list than please do say so (as this is the main reason for this post). It would be even better, as our plan is kind of full, if you could not only make a suggestion of what we are missing but also what we should drop from our list to make time for that new thing?. Actually I'm not quite sure if the list below isn't too tightly packed anyway and what with all the travelling around.

We plan to spend there 3 days and 2 nights. Will leave very early and get to our first attraction around 9 am. I have not yet checked if what we want to see can be fitted in that time but in rough order of our trip this is what we hope to see:

Pass of the Cross (off A470 at Dinas-Mawddwy),
      Rhiwargor Waterfall (by Lake Vyrnwy or Llyn Efyrnwy)
      Hirnant Pass (or through Cwm Cynllwyd and Bala Lake, depending on which rout we choose)
      Betws-y-Coed (for Fairy Glen and Conwy Falls)
      Swallow Falls
      Lyn Ogwen (with short climb up Cwm Idwal, perhaps Llyn Bochlwyd and Ogwen falls)
      then up A5 through Nant Ffrancon (Falcon Valley, right?)
      if we have time than Caernarfon Castle
      then down through Pass of Llanberis (and mountain railway up Snowdon)
      Dolbadarn Castle
      then down A498 to Pass of Aberglaslyn
      then down A496 to Harlech Castle
      Barmouth (for Panorama Walk or rather few glimpses)
      Dolgellau (for Torrent Walk - ther is also apparently well worht seeing a route from Dolgellau to Arthog on B-roads)
      and that would be about it

Any comments, suggestion would very welcome. Suggestions of which roads to take to reach our destinations so that to have the best views etc. are more than welcome. I know 3 days is not a lot but that's what we have and we are determined to make best of it. We did this kind of thing in Pembrokeshire last year and it did work - we had a glimpse of Pembrokshire magic that we marvel at to this day.

6 Answers Jul 23, 2009 at 2:27 PM
    • A few questions about my first trip to Snowdonia...

by costyy2k Online Now Apr 17, 2007 at 8:13 AM

Hi guys,

I'm planning visiting the area for the first time in early October this year. I have several questions I hope some of you can help me out with...

1. What are the hiking conditions like on Snowdon at that time of year?
      2. I plan on climbing Snowdon via The Llanberis Path on one day and hiking in the area for my other days. Where would you recommend as a base? A nice village with B&B and pubs hopefully.
      3. What would you recommend for my toher hike, not involving Snowdon but starting from the same base.
      4. Any specific B&B to recommend in the suggested base area?

Many Thanks
      Ryan

5 Answers Apr 18, 2007 at 3:58 AM
    • public transport to snowdonia

by hm1234 Online Now Jun 29, 2006 at 4:23 AM

Hi. I'm only just beginning to look into this but how close can you get to Mount Snowdon, and any nearby hostel / hotel to use as a base, on public transport? ie what's the nearest train station, then do I need to get a bus....? The internet has proved quite unhelpful so far.... Any help at all will be much appreciated...

3 Answers Jun 29, 2006 at 11:48 AM
    • ynnpar's Profile Photo

tips for a short trip

by ynnpar Online Now Jun 21, 2006 at 1:58 AM

Hi everyone. I'll be visiting Snowdonia for a few days in August - on a quick break from London. I want to hike; I don't want to rent a car. So where should I stay? Ideally I'd take the train to Betws Y Coed or thereabouts. I'd like to hike around Snowdon, but hear that there's an area to the northeast of Snowdon that's actually supposed to be much nicer and less crowded (name escapes me? Glyer something, perhaps) I'm also open to suggestions for other destinations. Thanks.

1 Answer Jun 21, 2006 at 9:04 AM
    • DaveDeakin's Profile Photo

Driving Holiday In the UK

by DaveDeakin Online Now Mar 25, 2006 at 2:10 AM

Hi all
      My wife and I are in the process of planning a driving holiday around the UK this coming summer. Our itinerary, at the moment is to leave Sussex where we live and drive to Wales and the Snowdonia National Park, spending a few days touring around the park before driving on to the Lake District, where we will spend another few days, and then driving onto the Yorkshire Dales, where we will spend another few days, before heading south and home, a total of about 12 to 14 days.
      My question is, ?if you have been to any of the above locations, which routes would you recommend that give the most spectacular views and are there any little villages that you thought were out of this world and well worth a visit?.
      Thank you for any help.

3 Answers Jun 21, 2006 at 9:12 AM
    • JulesH's Profile Photo

Urgent poll

by JulesH Online Now Aug 26, 2005 at 5:31 AM

My boyfriend Rob and I are leaving for Snowdonia tomorrow morning and we haven't yet decided which of the paths up Mount Snowdon we would like to take. We are using the trip as part of our training towards climing Mt Kilimanjaro in September, so we'd like a relatively challenging climb, but with no steep and dangerous cliff drops which might cause us to fall and possibly die, thereby never actually making it to Africa! We'd like the route to be interesting and varied in it's terrain, and we would also like to stay away from the crowds if that's going to be possible on bank holiday weekend. Can anyone recommend a route to the summit which will satisfy all our requirements?

Many thanks

Jules

2 Answers Aug 26, 2005 at 10:10 AM
    • Road by Watkins Path

by headcoat Online Now Mar 22, 2005 at 1:38 PM

While walking up the Watkins Path I noticed a type of road going up the side of the mountain, this is very steep in places and unsuitable for a vehicle. Anyone know what it is?

1 Answer Mar 23, 2005 at 2:09 PM
    • travelling to snowdonia

by nemof Online Now Jul 28, 2004 at 9:40 AM

hi there. Me and my friend want to go camping and walking in snowdonia around tryfan, however transportation is a problem. We can only go for four days. I live in Pembrokeshire so it's really not that far away from me, however we need to use public transport to get there. everytime i try looking it up on national express for coaches or the check rail timetables the shortest journeys i can find are 9 hours which is way to long. Does anyone know a quicker way of getting from Pembrokeshire (or near to there) to snowdonia? thanks nemo

1 Answer Jan 21, 2008 at 4:15 AM
    • Kanasyy's Profile Photo

A question about the rout on Snowdon

by Kanasyy Online Now Jul 6, 2004 at 1:41 PM

Have any one here tried the Horseshoes before? I did the Pyg and Miners tracks last fall and they were quite fun. I was told that the Horseshoes is a lot harder than those two but it is possible and save for climbers with no scrambling experience to tackle the Horseshoe in a fine weather? Many thanks!

6 Answers Jul 6, 2004 at 11:12 PM
    • christine.j's Profile Photo

is the mountain railway worth it?? LLanberis Path

by christine.j Online Now Jun 19, 2004 at 11:02 AM

Hi, in a few weeks I'll be travelling in Wales.I was considering taking the mountain railway up Mount Snowdon. However, on their website I read that you have only 30 minutes on top and then have to take the train down.To me, that sounds like the "out of the bus, take a picture, back in the bus" tourgroups. What if I want stay up for more than 30 minutes? That doesn't seem to be possible. I also considered walking. The LLanberis Path is - according to guide books - "easy". Can anyone here tell me what "easy" means? I do a lot of walking and am reasonably fit, but I have problems when there is a sharp drop right next to a path.I once fell down a gorge and ever since I have problems with this.Is there any type of this during the course of the LLanberis path? I'd be very thankful if anyone here could answer these questions. Christine

5 Answers Aug 6, 2004 at 5:07 AM