Snowdonia Travel Answers

change location

A few questions about my first trip to Snowdonia...

by costyy2k Online Now Apr 17, 2007 at 8:13 AM

Hi guys,

I'm planning visiting the area for the first time in early October this year. I have several questions I hope some of you can help me out with...

1. What are the hiking conditions like on Snowdon at that time of year?
2. I plan on climbing Snowdon via The Llanberis Path on one day and hiking in the area for my other days. Where would you recommend as a base? A nice village with B&B and pubs hopefully.
3. What would you recommend for my toher hike, not involving Snowdon but starting from the same base.
4. Any specific B&B to recommend in the suggested base area?

Many Thanks
Ryan

Quote & Answer
5 Answers
  • leics's Profile Photo

Re: A few questions about my first trip to Snowdonia...

by leics Online Now Apr 17, 2007 at 10:07 AM

I would suggest you stay in Llanberis itself; it has excellent scenery, b&bs, pubs etc and won't be too stuffed full of tourists in October. It also has reasonably good bus links to other places, such as Caernarfon/Bangor & surrounding villages.

As for your other hikes, you could consider either the Glyders (near Bethesda, bus to Bethesda or Rachub) or the Elidirs (directly above the north side of Llanberis lake). The latter, once you get above the slate quarries (fascinating industrial heritage in themselves) are beautiful (bus access via Deiniolen/Dinorwig). Both ranges will be quieter than Snowdon itself.

If you want something lower-level (and you are right to be wary of the weather; Welsh mountains may not be particularly high but the weather can make them extremely treacherous at any time of year) then there are many beautiful walks all around the area. Watch out for Welsh Black bullocks (or even cows), btw; they are not backwards in coming forwards! The sheep are ok though......

With luck, the weather will give you some nice bright Autumn days. However, it is very likely to rain (or be drizzly/misty)at some point, possibly for all/most of your stay. Early frost is possible, but settling snow very unlikely except on the highest levels (and fairly unlikely then). Fog/mist/heavy rain/strong winds will obviously limit your hiking at higher levels, so make a back-up plan just in case.

I lived in a village just 'above' Llanberis for four years, btw; it's a really beautiful area, but can be awfully damp! I'm sure you'll enjoy your visit, regardless.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Re: A few questions about my first trip to Snowdonia...

by costyy2k Online Now Apr 17, 2007 at 10:10 AM

Thank you very much! Very good response and most helpful!!

• leics's Profile Photo

by leics Online Now Apr 17, 2007 at 10:13 AM

:-)

• northeast80's Profile Photo

by northeast80 Online Now Apr 18, 2007 at 3:56 AM

I stayed at the YHA in Bryn Gwynant which is just about at the foot of Snowdon, a short walk to the lowest starting path up, the Watkin Path, I came back down by the Miners Track, so not much help for your Llanberis Path!
    But if you want somewhere close to the start then the YHA is very close, I know you asked for B & B, but you'll be sure to meet other people climbing Snowdon and the surrounding area, just a thought. A link to the YHA-
    yha.org.uk/find-accommodatio...
    There's a lovely pub at Bedgellert serving good ales, if you leave late at night be sure to be amazed by the night sky!
    Good luck.

• northeast80's Profile Photo

by northeast80 Online Now Apr 18, 2007 at 3:58 AM

Oops, it wasn't the hostel at Bryn Gwynt, but it is the one I put the link for, sorry!

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines