Snowdonia Travel Answers

change location
ynnpar's Profile Photo

tips for a short trip

by ynnpar Online Now Jun 21, 2006 at 1:58 AM

Hi everyone. I'll be visiting Snowdonia for a few days in August - on a quick break from London. I want to hike; I don't want to rent a car. So where should I stay? Ideally I'd take the train to Betws Y Coed or thereabouts. I'd like to hike around Snowdon, but hear that there's an area to the northeast of Snowdon that's actually supposed to be much nicer and less crowded (name escapes me? Glyer something, perhaps) I'm also open to suggestions for other destinations. Thanks.

Quote & Answer
1 Answer
  • leics's Profile Photo

RE: tips for a short trip

by leics Online Now Jun 21, 2006 at 9:04 AM

You mean the Glyders; on the A5 going west, before you get to Bethesda/ Bangor.

www.walkingbritain.co.uk/m/walk_b1.php?id=1088 gives you some ideas, then try googling 'glyders snowdonia' for more.

Might be difficult to access them though; not sure about local buses (try googling when you know where you want to stay).

Staying in/near Bethesda might be a good idea (train to Bangor, local bus to Bethesda) as there are some good walks which start from there (Carnedd range). Both areas will be less crowded than the area immediately surrounding Snowdon/ Llanberis (and much less so than Betws/ Capel) but still best to book accommodation in advance. There will be plenty of climbers/ walkers around.

Also, be aware that even in August conditions can be treacherous; wear appropriate clothing, take the right equipment & make sure you leave details of where you are going and when you expect to be back. People die every year, and the mountain rescue services are regularly called out. Don't be tempted to overstretch yourself; our mountains may not be particularly high, but they still warrant respect.

It's a beautiful place (I lived nearby for 5 years), desolate in parts but still stunning. Hope you enjoy your visit.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines