Snowdonia Travel Answers

change location
DaveDeakin's Profile Photo

Driving Holiday In the UK

by DaveDeakin Online Now Mar 25, 2006 at 2:10 AM

Hi all
My wife and I are in the process of planning a driving holiday around the UK this coming summer. Our itinerary, at the moment is to leave Sussex where we live and drive to Wales and the Snowdonia National Park, spending a few days touring around the park before driving on to the Lake District, where we will spend another few days, and then driving onto the Yorkshire Dales, where we will spend another few days, before heading south and home, a total of about 12 to 14 days.
My question is, ?if you have been to any of the above locations, which routes would you recommend that give the most spectacular views and are there any little villages that you thought were out of this world and well worth a visit?.
Thank you for any help.

Quote & Answer
3 Answers
  • Razorback17's Profile Photo

RE: RE: Driving Holiday In the UK

by Razorback17 Online Now Mar 29, 2006 at 12:17 PM

Hi Dave,

Thanks for choosing to visit beautiful North Wales (God, that sounds so artificial: Sorry).
    Anyway, as far as Snowdonia goes, there's plenty of beautiful views, some of which you need to walk to and some visible from the road. To pick a few villages at random, you shouldn't miss Llanrwst, Penmachno, Beddgelert, Llanberis, Capel Curig or Bala.
    You haven't said what type of accomodation you'll be looking for; there aren't many hotels in the park itself, except for Betws-y-Coed (which has a reputation for high prices, although as I live within an hour's drive, I can't say for certain). There are however plenty of hotels and B&B's in the coastal towns around the outside (eg Cricieth and Porthmadog to the west, Llandudno and Bangor to the North) and a few on the way in, in Wrexham, Llangollen, Corwen and Bala.
    Anyway, some of the classic drives include the Llanberis Pass, the Crimea Pass, Nant Francon and the Tanat Valley. Many of these are regularly used by motoring magazines and programmes to test the handling of sportscars, but I've never heard of them hitting anything more valuable than a sheep or a slate wall.
    If you need any more details, try http://www.eryri-npa.co.uk , or I'll try to help if I can.
    All the best
    Croeso y Cymru

Mark.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • lou31's Profile Photo

RE: Driving Holiday In the UK

by lou31 Online Now Mar 30, 2006 at 6:32 AM

I toured Snowdonia on a coach tour and remember going to a place that is roughly called Penny Pass. The Welsh language is very unusual and so are their names etc. You could look up my Welsh pages it should have it written there. There is a lookout which was spectacular plus a large cafe and gift shop.

Llangolen was just lovely. A real must see as was the countryside around it. If I ever go back to Wales I am going to spend a night at Llangollen. Wales is a very beautiful country if my pictures are anything to go by.

Happy travels.........

• leics's Profile Photo

RE: RE: Driving Holiday In the UK

by leics Online Now Jun 21, 2006 at 9:12 AM

Pen y Pass is the high point of the Llanberis Pass, beautiful place but often very busy (coaches/ cars/ walkers/ climbers etc). Interesting hotel there: Pen-y-Gwrd (www.pyg.co.uk).

Lots of lovely villages all over Snowdonia; you might also consider popping over to Anglesey to visit Beaumaris, or exploring the Lleyn peninsula (Nefyn/ Abersoch/ Aberdaron). Hotel/ b&b acommodation is rather limited, I've found, so best book as soon as possible.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines