Snowdonia Travel Answers

change location
JulesH's Profile Photo

Urgent poll

by JulesH Online Now Aug 26, 2005 at 5:31 AM

My boyfriend Rob and I are leaving for Snowdonia tomorrow morning and we haven't yet decided which of the paths up Mount Snowdon we would like to take. We are using the trip as part of our training towards climing Mt Kilimanjaro in September, so we'd like a relatively challenging climb, but with no steep and dangerous cliff drops which might cause us to fall and possibly die, thereby never actually making it to Africa! We'd like the route to be interesting and varied in it's terrain, and we would also like to stay away from the crowds if that's going to be possible on bank holiday weekend. Can anyone recommend a route to the summit which will satisfy all our requirements?

Many thanks

Jules

Quote & Answer
2 Answers
  • gubbi1's Profile Photo

RE: Urgent poll

by gubbi1 Online Now Aug 26, 2005 at 9:18 AM

Hi, I was hiking up there from the youth hostel 'Pen-y-Pass'. It starts not that steep at the beginning, passing some forgotten mines and a lake, then it went quite steep up to the summit. I really liked the view down on the lake.
    It has been already more than 10 years ago, so I just checked the web for info on it and found:
    harbach.4ever.org.uk/snowdon...
    Reading it, it says that my way is not that nice, anyway I liked it... :)))
    But I was not good prepared anyway, so it was OK. And I arrived on top!
    Here a link to the YH:
    stilwell.co.uk/show_town.asp...
    Have fun and good luck that you can say:"I climbed Snowdon!"
    Christian.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • RE: Urgent poll

by NEILHALLIDYA Online Now Aug 26, 2005 at 10:10 AM

Just read through post on this and misc forum.

On a bank holiday weekend most main routes in Snowdonia will be fairly busy unless you go somewhere out of the way like the Carnedds.

In terms of Snowdon The Watkin Path is fairly varied and the last bit is fairy steep scree which will be like what you will probably get on Kilimanjaro.

You can then either then go back down the way you came or, more interestingly, go down the Rhyd Ddu path or Snowdon Ranger (these two paths are normally the least busy). If you do the latter you face a fair old walk back to your car. Although people will normally pick you up if you try thumbing a lift.

Tryfan is very good, in many ways better than the above, but the North Ridge route (the one mainly used) is mostly scrambling which you will not be doing much of on Kilimanjaro.

Hope you have a good one.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines