Sligo Travel Answers

change location

What to do in Sligo

by Shellenski Online Now Mar 23, 2012 at 10:04 PM

I am traveling with 3 friends through Ireland in August 2012 and we had planned to stop in Sligo for one night. Could you give me some tips/recommendations as to what is good to see/do there.

Thanks

Quote & Answer
3 Answers
  • leics's Profile Photo

Re: What to do in Sligo

by leics Online Now Mar 24, 2012 at 1:37 AM

Welcome to VT.

I haven't visited Sligo but whilst you are waiting for other members to reply do have a look at the tips and info on the Sligo VT pages:

Sligo Travel Guide

All content is written by VT locals and visitors...I'm sure you'll find some good ideas. :-)

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • tony2phones's Profile Photo

by tony2phones Online Now Mar 24, 2012 at 12:17 PM

Apart from being Yeat's country and some good coastline the best I can offer are links to similar questions on the TA forums

tripadvisor.ie/ShowTopic-g18...

• annemariebyrne's Profile Photo

by annemariebyrne Online Now Mar 24, 2012 at 5:08 PM

You don't say what your interests are so or whether you will have a car so here's some general info on Sligo town and surrounding area:
    If you like nature/outdoors/walking then I’d recommend Hazelwood Demesne. It’s only three kilometres from Sligo Town at half Moon Bay on the shores of Lough Gill. It has some lovely forest trails, where you will find a series of outdoor sculptures from Irish and international artists, a quiet picnic area and beautiful lakeside views with lots of swans providing great photo opportunities. The nature trail itself forms a loop of about three kilometres, with two shorter alternatives available. All are clearly marked and begin and end at the car park.
    Rosses Point is another nearby spot for a drive, it’s a seaside resort situated 8km from Sligo town, it has a great beach, safe for swimming and also ideal for windsurfing and other water-sports.
    If you like art then you could pay a visit to the Model, an art gallery located on the Mall, it is one of Ireland’s leading contemporary arts centres and home of The Niland Collection.
    http://themodel.ie/about/visit
    There are lots of pubs in Sligo town, some serving food, some well known for traditional music.
    For general info about pubs and other activities in Sligo check :
    whatsoninsligo.com/#/pubs-in...
    If you would like to see a play while you are there then check what’s on in the Hawkswell during your visit: http://www.hawkswell.com/
    Strandhill is another nearby village that’s worth a visit, it has a magnificent beach, popular with surfers, some great pubs and very nice seaweed baths if you feel like doing something a bit different.
    Some info here: http://www.strandhillscenes.com/

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines