Sligo Travel Answers

change location

train travel from london to sligo planner

by paintings2 Online Now Sep 21, 2011 at 6:11 PM

If I want to travel from london to sligo by train but I do not know where to get train from if anyone
the trip from sligo how did u get to london please i am going to a
Street called barrack thank you

Quote & Answer
6 Answers
  • mccalpin's Profile Photo

Re: train travel from london to sligo planner

by mccalpin Online Now Sep 21, 2011 at 6:54 PM

OK, first I want to make sure that you mean the Sligo in the Republic of Ireland, right?

Without giving it much thought, I would think that you take the train from London to Holyhead, then take the ferry to Dun Laoghaire ("dun leary"), then take the train from Dun Laoghaire to Sligo with a change at Dublin Connelly station (train from Dun Laoghaire about every 2 hours)...

But it's been a very long time since I've made this trip, so other experiences would be welcome...

British rail timetables: http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/
    Irish rail timetables: http://www.irishrail.ie/home/
    you'll have to look up the ferries...they were known as Sealink once, but who knows now...

Bill

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • leics's Profile Photo

by leics Online Now Sep 21, 2011 at 11:22 PM

As noted, you will have to make a ferry crossing between the UK and Ireland.

There are several options but the most commonly used is the fast ferry from Holyhhead to Dublin.

So you need to use www.nationalrail.co.uk for London>Holyhead train times, details and fares then

stenaline.co.uk/ferry/routes...

or

irishferries.com/gb/ferry-to...

for times, fares and booking your ferry crossing then

www.irishrail.ie for train times, details and fares from Dublin to Sligo.

It will not be a quick journey and it will not be cheap.

You may find that taking the bus from Dublin>Sligo is cheaper than the train, although the journey will be longer. Bus times and information here (route 23):

buseireann.ie/inner.php?id=2...

You can investigate London>Holyhead>Dublin 'sailrail' packages. They can offer very good deals, although I am not sure how easy it will be to buy them from outside the UK/Ireland:

http://www.seat61.com/Ireland.htm

• hawkhead's Profile Photo

by hawkhead Online Now Sep 21, 2011 at 11:38 PM

I am afraid you will have to be a little more specific with regards to "a street called barrack". There are likely to be quite a few streets (roads, avenues, places) of that name in London. A postal code would pin it down.

• mccalpin's Profile Photo

by mccalpin Online Now Sep 22, 2011 at 7:12 AM

Hawk, the OP's post does seem contradictory, but I chose to read it as Barrack in Sligo, which there is one, not all that far from the train station in Sligo (600-800 meters?)...but maybe the OP will come back and tell us what he/she really meant...

Bill

• leics's Profile Photo

by leics Online Now Sep 22, 2011 at 9:23 AM

If the poster puts 'barrack street sligo' into googlemaps he/she will be able to see exactly whee the street is, and where the railway station is as well.

It's about 1 km.

• tony2phones's Profile Photo

by tony2phones Online Now Sep 23, 2011 at 11:26 AM

You can buy a ticket to Dublin from any mainline UK station for under £40. This give ferry travel from Holyhead. The Stena Dun Laoghaire route has been made seasonal and there are no further crossings this year. From Dublin you can either Bus or Train to Sligo.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines