Sligo Travel Answers

change location

lodging near sligo train station

by seyahat Online Now Jun 7, 2009 at 8:57 PM

Can anyone recommend a hotel or B&B in Sligo that is not too far from the train station? (Unless the train station is in a dreadful part of town that you'd discourage staying in.) Main concerns are something accessible to my 93-year-old mom who uses a push walker and can't do a lot of stairs at one time. Did you have occasion to use either taxi or bus from the station to the hotel or B&B? Do you recall the approximate cost?

Quote & Answer
4 Answers
  • annemariebyrne's Profile Photo

Re: lodging near sligo train station

by annemariebyrne Online Now Jun 8, 2009 at 2:15 PM

I haven't stayed there myself but the Sligo Southern Hotel is close to the railway station and has a lift. Check the website www.thesligosouthernhotel.com

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Re: lodging near sligo train station

by Peter-S Online Now Jun 10, 2009 at 7:23 AM

The Sligo City Hotel is located close to station.
    I can recommend, I have stayed there.
    http://www.sligocityhotel.com/
    Not a lot of B&Bs close to station and none that I could recommend.

• Re: lodging near sligo train station

by peggydatz Online Now Jun 10, 2009 at 8:41 PM

Thank you, folks, for your response about lodging near the Sligo train station. I have a couple more questions: 1) How's the public transit going north--I'm thinking of a bus to Ballyshannon. Do you remember seeing whether either the municipal buses or the inter-city buses have a front step that lowers? I'm not talking about getting a wheelchair on, but Mom definitely can't do the 18-inch step that the tour companies have on their buses.
    Thanks a lot!

• annemariebyrne's Profile Photo

Re: lodging near sligo train station

by annemariebyrne Online Now Jun 11, 2009 at 3:14 PM

I don't have personal experience of the access to buses in the Sligo/Donegal area but having checked the website for the National Bus Company (Bus Eireann) the signs are quite positive regarding 'KNEELING' buses. Have a look at www.buseireann.ie then go to 'your journey' and then 'accessibility' for more info.
    Also it might be worth posting this as a new, separate question as someone local or who has travelled on the bus may have knowledge of the situation but may not follow the thread on your original question. AM

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines