Sligo Travel Answers

change location

Writer looking for accommodations

by dwright4100 Online Now Mar 15, 2008 at 4:10 PM

Going to Co. Sligo for three weeks this summer.I am an assistant to a writer and we will be doing research for a book while there. Where do you suggest we stay? We can stay anywhere in Co Sligo. Ideally, we would like to stay in a house in a village center where we can walk to eat, to a pub. We are open to all accommodations that offer comofort and have charm.

Quote & Answer
4 Answers
  • annemariebyrne's Profile Photo

Re: Writer looking for accommodations

by annemariebyrne Online Now Mar 15, 2008 at 5:10 PM

I would recommend a house called The Water's Edge in Aughris, Co Sligo. it is in a fantastic location, close to a beach and a pub but not in a village, the nearest village for shops is Dromore West. I have stayed there several times. I have pasted below the info from www.irishtourist.com, where you can make a booking, although I have always phoned the owner direct on 09649255, I'm not sure if this is still the current number, with international dialling code I guess it would be 00 353 96 49255
    Also the town of Enniscrone would be a good location, fabulous beach, golf course and lots of self-catering accomodation, just google Enniscrone and accomodation and you should find something.
    On the northern side of Co.Sligo the villages of Mullaghmore or Cliffoney would be good too.

The Waters Edge is a fantastic 4 star self catering accommodation located in the scenic rural village of Templeboy, County Sligo.

The cottage has three bedrooms, the master bedroom is en suite. When u wake up, enjoy panoramic views of the ocean with its spectacular scenery and refreshing sea air that are outside your window. The home has been described as a children's paradise for many reasons but mainly due to the on site playground, which will keep them busy for hours. The property is completely enclosed so you can enjoy the warm sunshine in the garden while the children are entertained.

The Waters Edge is situated midway between the bustling town of Sligo and the vibrant town of Ballina in County Mayo. Aughris Head has some incredible views while the fishing is a must for the angling enthusiast. The scenic beauty and variety of landscapes in Sligo make this a great place to explore on foot &emdash; the Benbulben walk will have you invigorated and inspired as you return home. Visit this intriguing place, full of history, culture and surprises.

Directions

Travel on the N4 from Sligo, proceed onto the N59 following signs for Ballina. When you reach Templeboy Post Office turn to the right and follow the signs for the beach.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Lyndra's Profile Photo

by Lyndra Online Now Mar 16, 2008 at 12:18 PM

Hi there, you are spoiled for choice in Sligo for places to stay. If you are there for three weeks you could consider moving around and trying a few areas. There is a gorgeous B&B under the shadow of Ben Bulben (Benbulben Farm), Stand Hill is a lovely sea side town with lots of pubs and B&B's. Rosses Point is further North on the N15 - fantastic fish restaurants and great Atlantic views. There are villages like Gurteen, Coolaney which are further into the centre of the county and are much quieter (many other villages to choose from). Tubbercurry is handy and a little more built up - I stayed there once while doing the family rounds!
    Sligo itself is still not to built up and provides a great range of evening places to eat and drink - there is accomodation to suit all budgets but I would recommend Pearse Lodge (on the Pearse Road leading into the town). The patrons are a lovely couple, rooms are smashing and the breakfast is delightful. Very cheap and only a few minutes walk into the town.
    Depends on what you need from your time there but with such a long visit I would definitely try a few places and see the variety of landscape. Loads to do by the way - check out the Sligo pages on VT for tips about how to spend and=y spare time you may get. Enjoy - it's such a beautiful county.

• Maryimelda's Profile Photo

by Maryimelda Online Now Mar 16, 2008 at 11:24 PM

My vote is for Strand Hill the little seaside village not far from Sligo town. There you can enjoy one of the famous seaweed baths or one of the best ice creams in Ireland at the little cafe come general store on the esplanade. As already stated in an earlier reply, there are heaps of eateries and B&B's all around. For something really special but in your case, I guess not very practical, you could stay a night or two at Markree Castle in Collooney. This is the castle where Oliver Cromwell's 'hanging tree'still stands in the garden.
    Today it is quite a lovely hotel which still exudes the old castle charm. Location wise, however, it probably isn't very practical unless you have a car of course, and then it is only a short drive to so many villages and to Sligo Town itself. Yoiu'll love Sligo, it is a glorious part of Ireland. Loch Gill and Benbulben will blow you away.

• fredcorcoran's Profile Photo

by fredcorcoran Online Now Jun 25, 2008 at 1:21 AM

hi you are probably sorted for a place to stay in sligo by now.if not yet decided i would stay in strandhill as a couple of other people have suggested.its a 5 mile trip from bus / train depot in sligo town.it has direct flights to and from dublin and manchester...plus its a buzzing place for all sorts of people.one of irelands premier surf spots with great bars live music and good food .if you like walking on beaches and over sand dunes followed by a seaweed bath (a must)and a pint of the black stuff(another must) then this place is perfect for you guys.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines