Skopje Travel Answers

change location

Bus from Skopje to Pristina

by Mariaalexandra Online Now Mar 21, 2013 at 7:07 AM

Hello, I intend to travel from Skopje to Pristina and I would like to know if there are buses going there and what time do they leave and from where?
I will come from Sofia, Bulgaria, and the bus will leave me at the central bus station in Skopje.
Thank you!

Quote & Answer
21 Answers
  • Fluffy_bunny's Profile Photo

Re: Bus from Skopje to Pristina

by Fluffy_bunny Online Now Mar 21, 2013 at 7:15 AM

There are at least 8 buses a day. Usually around 10 past the hour. It takes around 2 hours (depending on the border) and costs about 5 Euro.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Re: Bus from Skopje to Pristina

by nob-in Online Now Mar 21, 2013 at 8:33 AM

Mariaalexandra, there is plenty of buses during the day (dep. 6:00, 8:00, 9:00, 10:10, 11:00, 11:45, 13:20, 14:00, 15:00, 15:30, 16:30, 17:00 and 18:10), ticket fare is 320-340 denar one-way or 520-560 denar return, travel time is roughly 2:30 hours. All buses depart from central bus station
    Once a day there is also a direct train from Skopje to Prisitina (dep.16:35-arr.19:35)

1 member found this helpful

by Mariaalexandra Online Now Mar 21, 2013 at 2:02 PM

Thank you for your answer...it s good to know that, and that i can pay in euros.
    I don.t have to make reservations for the bus, right?
    Regards,

• johngayton's Profile Photo

by johngayton Online Now Mar 21, 2013 at 3:24 PM

You'll also find the Skopje bus station ticket people very helpful and friendly - well I did anyway despite having no command of Macedonian language.

• MacedonianUK's Profile Photo

by MacedonianUK Online Now Mar 22, 2013 at 10:53 AM

Try www.sas.com.mk for timetables.
    12 buses daily first out at 6:00 bus cost 320 MKD one way €5 or 520 MKD €9 return

• alek's Profile Photo

by alek Online Now Mar 25, 2013 at 11:26 AM

Mariaalexandra wrote:
    Thank you for your answer...it s good to know that, and that i can pay in euros. I don.t have to make reservations for the bus, right? Regards,

have to notice here... it is NOT legal to pay in euros in macedonia... euros might be accepted by some merchandisers, but you have to know that you and that person are breaking the law by making and accepting payments in any foreign currency. This is why it is highly unlikely that euros will be accepted at the central bus station, but you can easily exchange your money at an exchange office or just pay by credit card (automatic conversion of currency will be made by your bank) 

• Pijlmans's Profile Photo

by Pijlmans Online Now Mar 25, 2013 at 10:32 PM

Personally I would not exchange my money at an exchange office but just take Macedonian Denars from the ATM. Don't know if there's one at the bus station though.

I never heard about paying in Euros being illegal...I learn something on VT everyday, isn't it great...

• alek's Profile Photo

by alek Online Now Mar 26, 2013 at 7:44 AM

Pijlmans wrote:
    Personally I would not exchange my money at an exchange office but just take Macedonian Denars from the ATM. Don't know if there's one at the bus station though.

I never heard about paying in Euros being illegal...I learn something on VT everyday, isn't it great...

I presume you are saying this because you had some bad experience in Macedonia with the exchange offices, otherwise it is totaly unresponsible to give such advice. The official exchange rate EUR/MKD haven't changed since the first use of euros in the EU...You get 61,1 to 61,3 denars for one euro and the exchange rate has to be posted on a visible spot in the exchange office so the customer can view it. Unlike some cases in other countries around (like Bulgaria for example) no hidden or written in small letters commision is charged by the exchange office, so I can't imagine someone being tricked. 

And usually your bank will charge you a lot more for using ATM abroad, then exchanging 100 euros on even lower exchange rate than this, and this is IF you find such exchange office...I haven't :)

by Pijlmans Online Now Mar 26, 2013 at 10:31 AM

Alek, I guess you misinterpreted my "totally irresponsible advice"....

I wrote that I PERSONALLY just would use an ATM...Just because it's easy, no need to speak Macedonian or hope that the person behind the counter speaks English, open 24 hours etc etc..

And you get a decent exchange rate for sure, you don't have to worry if the exchange rate the exchange office is giving you is OK or not....Although there indeed may be additional costs for using an ATM abroad, depending on your bank.

I don't have bad experiences with exchange offices, nor have I ever used one :-) I also did not write or imply that people are tricked by such offices....

Maybe on my turn I interpret your term "totally irresponsible advice" the wrong way, but I really don't see how my reply deserves such a qualification....

• alek's Profile Photo

by alek Online Now Mar 27, 2013 at 5:23 AM

Pijlmans wrote:
    Alek, I guess you misinterpreted my "totally irresponsible advice"....

I wrote that I PERSONALLY just would use an ATM...Just because it's easy, no need to speak Macedonian or hope that the person behind the counter speaks English, open 24 hours etc etc..

And you get a decent exchange rate for sure, you don't have to worry if the exchange rate the exchange office is giving you is OK or not....Although there indeed may be additional costs for using an ATM abroad, depending on your bank.

I don't have bad experiences with exchange offices, nor have I ever used one :-) I also did not write or imply that people are tricked by such offices....

Maybe on my turn I interpret your term "totally irresponsible advice" the wrong way, but I really don't see how my reply deserves such a qualification....

I just ment "irresponsible managing of money" advice to fellow travelers. Most ppl can't afford or just don't want to waist their money like you do, but yes what you do with your money is your choice. I just wrote such reply so someone traveling wont misinterpret your reply in a bad way. I personaly think it's pitty in so many visits in Macedonia, you havent tried using exchange office. You could have donated so much to some charity, not to your bank :)

by Pijlmans Online Now Mar 27, 2013 at 11:00 AM

Alek:

I don't think that the exchange rates between a bank and an exchange office are so much different that you can talk about "wasting money" and I doubt that a charity would be helped a lot by the few euros I may (or may not!) have lost over the years.

In addition, if I would use an exchange office, this would mean that I would have to carry all my money with me, all the time. I prefer not to have to worry about having so much cash in my pockets...

• johngayton's Profile Photo

by johngayton Online Now Mar 27, 2013 at 1:19 PM

What you need to realise is that there's no such thing as "commission-free" currency exchange. Even when an exchange office claims this it's simply not true - all the exchange office is doing is offering to change your money at a rate on which it makes a profit. Banks (and ATM's) will change your money at the market, interbank, rate and then add their fees and commission - the amount of which depends on the individual bank. So generally-speaking there's little difference between the two. This is true anywhere in the world.

• alek's Profile Photo

by alek Online Now Mar 29, 2013 at 1:31 AM

ok i really wanted to cut this short, but if you like we will do a little math... :)

Exchange rates in exchange offices for 1 euro buy/sell: 61,35/61,75. My bank charges me aprox 2 eur + 3% of the amount I take if I use ATM abroad, lets say yours charges the same. So if you exchange 100eur, you will be charged 5 euros by your bank. And because value of denar is tightly connected to euro, you are simply losing 5 euros. And it get's worse, if you are afraid to carry around more money in your pocket you need to make more smaller ATM transactions, and the amount you lose goes up by the number of ATM transactions you make.

But that was not my point at all with my first reply. All I wanted to say is:
    1. It's totally safe to exchange your money in exchange offices (or banks) when you are visiting Macedonia. Most of the exchange offices even have slightly better exchange rates than the banks!
    2. You should not be afraid to carry money in your pocket, because a) people here don't get robbed every day on the streets. The crime rate is normal as everywhere in the EU for example, maybe even less than EU average, and certainly less than some EU countries. b) simply there is no need for you to carry and exchange a lot of money, because 100eur will be more than enough to eat and drink and sleep for maybe 3 days or more (unlike in EU, where in average you need 100eur per day) c) you can pay by credit card in most of the places and restaurants, and banks usually don't charge for that.

And yes, the only place you should be really careful is when crossing the famous Stone bridge. The little gypsies hanging around can rob you in matter of seconds. So if 3 or 4 gypsies surround you there and start pulling you and pretend they are begging, don't be afraid to start kicking and slapping because they are trying to rob you! And in that case you can lose your wallet with your credit card and be left with nothing.

So simple conclusion is, exchanging 50 euros, using your credit card whenever you can and storing another 50 in some deep pocket will get you spend 2-3 days in Macedonia with no problem and will save you some money. And that explains the golden rule for travelling pretty much anywhere, just keep you eyes open! 99% of the people will help you with whatever you need, even more than they would help a domestic citizen. And there is always that 1% that they try to trick you however they can, no matter if you are in EU,UK,US or Macedonia.

by Pijlmans Online Now Apr 1, 2013 at 1:22 AM

Good advice about the gypsie kids around the Stone Bridge in Skopje...They never bugged me but something like that happened to me in Greece once...As I was slightly intoxicated I only found out when it was too late :-)

Just one more reaction about the exchange offices: What I meant was that if I come from the Netherlands for a three week visit and I only would want to use the exchange offices, I would have to take all the euros with me from the Netherlands, not just 100 euros for a couple of days...

by Mariaalexandra Online Now Apr 11, 2013 at 11:26 AM

Thank you guys for ur answers and suggestions. And as far as gypsies are concerned....I come from Romania, so I can smell the bastards ( I hope).

by tunglowaan Online Now Jun 27, 2013 at 5:36 PM

Hi!
    I'm going to Pristina on a day-trip from Skopje, all your info has been great, but I was wondering, do you suggest me to buy 2-way ticket at Skopje central bus station? or better to buy my return ticket to Skopje already in Pristina?
    I'm kinda scared it will be troublelish getting a bus back to Skopje from Pristina, Is it likely to get stranded in Pristina by lack of buses?
    so far I can't find sources/ timetables of buses in Pristina. Thanks a lot!

by tunglowaan Online Now Jun 27, 2013 at 6:27 PM

nob-in wrote:
    Mariaalexandra, there is plenty of buses during the day (dep. 6:00, 8:00, 9:00, 10:10, 11:00, 11:45, 13:20, 14:00, 15:00, 15:30, 16:30, 17:00 and 18:10), ticket fare is 320-340 denar one-way or 520-560 denar return, travel time is roughly 2:30 hours. All buses depart from central bus station Once a day there is also a direct train from Skopje to Prisitina (dep.16:35-arr.19:35)

Hi!! I was wondering where can I check the bus schedules? I see you've got a good one, I found one online that I cannot translate and doesn't match with the one above, therefore I don't know what I'm looking at, could be so helpful to let me know the source so then I can check it out and know if it still the same...Thanks a lot! 

by MacedonianUK Online Now Jun 27, 2013 at 7:09 PM

info comes from www.sas.com.mk
    only Macedonian verson has all the info up to date so here it is.
    first column is departure Time midle is the price and last is arrival time
    06:00 РУЛЕ-ТУРС-ПР320 DEN.---08:30
    08:00 ХИСАРИ320 DEN.---10:200
    09:00 ХИСАРИ320 DEN.520 DEN.11:40
    10:10 СМИРАТРАНС320 DEN.520 DEN.12:40
    11:00 ЕУРО ЛИНИА-СТРУГА320 DEN.560 DEN.13:00
    11:45 ЕВРОПСКА ЛИНИЈА340 DEN.520 DEN.13:25
    12:30 СЕАД-РЕИСЕН 320 DEN.520 DEN.15:00
    13:20 МОТОЈА 340 DEN.520 DEN.15:20
    14:00 РУЛЕ-ТУРС-ПР 320 DEN.---16:30
    15:00 АЛБУС-ПРИШТИНА320 DEN.520 DEN.17:00
    15:30 КИММЕЛ-БОСФОР320 DEN.---17:30
    16:30 АМАЛФИ-ТУРС ПРИШТИНА320 DEN.560 DEN.18:30
    17:00 АЛБУС-ПРИШТИНА320 DEN.520 DEN.19:00
    18:10 АЛБУС-ПРИШТИНА320 DEN.520 DEN.20:40
    19:10 МОТОЈА340 DEN.520 DEN.21:10

• by tunglowaan Online Now Jun 27, 2013 at 7:13 PM

THANK YOU SO SO MUCH FOR THE INFO!! IT HAS HELPED ME A LOT! CHEERS!

by strivan Online Now Aug 25, 2013 at 6:11 AM

Hi!

Anyone who knows if it's possible to take a bus from Skopje to Pristina a Saturday or Sunday?

Thankful for help

// Sofia

by MacedonianUK Online Now Aug 25, 2013 at 10:44 AM

Yes the bus runs 7 days a week, so the above time table is walid for Sat & Sun

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines