Skiathos Travel Answers

change location

Athens to Skiathos?

by loopyloooo Online Now Jan 2, 2006 at 9:06 PM

Hello! I'm planning to visit Athens in May (for Eurovision, yippee!) and I'd like to pop over to Skiathos for a couple of days to see a friend who's gonna be working there. I was in Skiathos last year and was thinking about going on a trip to the mainland but I was ill and didn't even find out how much it would cost in the end! Has anyone done the trip? I think the most fun way would be to get a bus up north and then a ferry across. Getting a flight seems like a bit of a cop out and I imagine would be more expensive too. Anyone wants to meet up in Athens let me know!

Quote & Answer
4 Answers
  • dvoretzky's Profile Photo

RE: Athens to Skiathos?

by dvoretzky Online Now Jan 2, 2006 at 10:31 PM

Getting to Volos by bus is not a problem but the www.ferries.gr booking system doesn't show any ferries from Volos to Skiathos in May... A return flight from Athens to Skiathos with Olympic (http://www.olympic-airways.com/) costs 105.91 Euro.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • nickandchris's Profile Photo

RE: Athens to Skiathos?

by nickandchris Online Now Jan 3, 2006 at 6:44 AM

There are trains or buses to Volos from Athens. You can get a ferry from Volos to Skiathos, the Lonely Planet guide says twice daily. I am pretty sure this will be correct as we were in Volos and Pilion last May and ferries were operating .

• RE: Athens to Skiathos?

by Ouzone Online Now Jan 3, 2006 at 5:25 PM

That is not quite correct you need to go to the port of Ag. Konstantinos north west of Athens. This is much closer to Athens than Volos. There are daily ferries/hydrofoils/catamarans from both ports.
    The KTEL bus goes from Athens to Ag. Konstantinos (or Volos) from bus terminal B in Athens(260 Liosson St). The ferry companies could be Hellenic Seaways, Vospo, Sporades ferries, Saos. Ferry schedules are not set more than 4 weeks ahead so look it up in early May.

The best ferry reference is:
    http://www.gtp.gr/RoutesForm.asp

• RE: Athens to Skiathos?

by loopyloooo Online Now Jan 17, 2006 at 3:27 PM

Thanks for your replies. I spoke to someone who's doing the trip soon and he recommended the plane, I think he said a return flight is about 100 Euros. I think Volos would take ages, like a whole day, to get to by bus from Athens so I think it's between the Ag Constiano (how you spell that?) route and the plane. Will get my friend to try and find out more about the timetable and costs when he gets to Skiathos. The websites are all so annoying. None of them seem to work exactly! Am gradually piecing all the information together!

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines