Sitka Travel Answers

change location

A day in Sitka

by Mum_J Online Now Aug 18, 2008 at 3:59 PM

We are visiting on a cruise ship for a day. Can anyone suggest what we should do, not miss, etc? I am not too keen on being railroaded onto organised mass excursions unless it's the only way to see an area.

Many thaks for any help.

Quote & Answer
3 Answers
  • Donna_in_India's Profile Photo

Re: A day in Sitka

by Donna_in_India Online Now Aug 18, 2008 at 7:56 PM

Hi - this was my first time to Sitka and I just loved the town. Unfortunately we didn't have enough time in port and it rained most of the time. We walked from the tender through town along the water. We stopped in the little Church by the Sea and then headed to the Raptor Center (which was great!). Saw a lot of eagles, hawks, owls, etc. There are some trails around the center that you can walk around as well.

From there we walked through the Sitka National Park (along the Totem Trail) back into town. We would have spent more time there but it was raining heavily by then.

We ate lunch at the Westmark hotel - a very popular and crowded place - but the king crab legs and halibut were delicious. You can also have a reindeer "hot dog" across the street. :-)

Then we stopped in St. Michael's Cathedral which looks so simple from the outside but is really very pretty inside. We continued to walk around town doing a little shopping (love the Russian nesting dolls!) and exploring.

Happy Travels!

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • kathymof's Profile Photo

Re: A day in Sitka

by kathymof Online Now Aug 19, 2008 at 8:47 AM

Donna and I enjoyed the same things in Sitka. St. Michael's Cathedral is marvelous and national park with the totems is great too. We also had rain so be sure to have a rain coat with you. One other thing I enjoyed was a traditional Native American dance presentation in the auditorium right by the tender. This may have been done through the cruise ship, but as a "retired" anthropologist, I loved this.

• Re: A day in Sitka

by hopeitfloatsflorida Online Now Jun 27, 2010 at 8:26 AM

We went out with Paul Davis and Gallant Adventures while in Sitka. It was a 2hr boat tour and we were so happy to have seen whales, sea otters and puffins. And to think, we almost just walked town and saw the same ole thing amungst the thousands of people on our ship. Highly recommend

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines