Sitka Travel Answers

change location
AlexanderH5's Profile Photo

Anchorage to Sitka and back

by AlexanderH5 Online Now Mar 11, 2013 at 1:12 PM

Hi,

I am planning a trip in June to Alaska to observe some of the historic sites (I research Russia's colonies in Alaska). My trip is only a week, but I would like to get from Anchorage to Sitka, then possibly to Kodiak , then back to Anchorage. Can ferries do this? What would be the least-expensive way? I will land and depart in Anchorage, so I need to be able to get back to anchorage. Any help or resources would be great.

-Alexander

Quote & Answer
4 Answers
  • HasTowelWillTravel's Profile Photo

Re: Anchorage to Sitka and back

by HasTowelWillTravel Online Now Mar 11, 2013 at 1:48 PM

The ferries could possibly do that trip, but they are a big more complicated. For instance, they do not sail out of Anchorage, you'd have to get to Whittier (one of the closer ports for the ferry system). And to get from Whittier to Sitka, it's about 2+ days on the ferry just for the one-way leg of the journey. So if you're crunched for time, the ferry is not the way to go. While they are less expensive, they're super time-consuming. The best way to do it, and it'll be expensive, is to fly. If you had more time, you could sketch out a ferry trip without problem.

Hopefully that helps, though it is bad news. If there's anything I can help with, let me know. Sitka is beautiful, I was doing some seaweed research there last year!

1 member found this helpful

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • TooTallFinn24's Profile Photo

by TooTallFinn24 Online Now Mar 11, 2013 at 5:20 PM

What Josh says is correct. However an alternative might be flying form Anchorage to Juneau, which is a gorgeous place, spending the night there, and then taking the ferry up to Sitka which is an absolutely stunning trip scenery wise. Check the Alaska Airlines site for a cost of a one way trip to Juneau.

The trip from Whittier to Sitka would not be as scenic and as Josh said getting to Whittier is difficult. You have to go through a long tunnel with one lane of traffic even to get to the town.

There is an active VT person named Rick that lives in Kodiak that would be of great help in having you get from Sitka to Kodiak.

Be the first to rate this answer!

• RickinDutch's Profile Photo

by RickinDutch Online Now Mar 12, 2013 at 9:03 AM

I agree with both of the previous posters. Distance are too great for only a week. I would recommend picking either Sitka or Kodiak but trying to do both would require multple round trips to and from Anchorage.
    Can't go wrong with either spot. Perhaps the two most scenic spots in Alaska in my humble opinion. If I didn't live in Kodiak I'd live in Sitka.
    To get to Kodiak by ferry, you need to go from Homer. In June the Tustemena will be back in service and running 4 trips a week. Another idea might be last great ferry trip left. From Homer to Dutch Harbor/Unalaska. Stops on Kodiak for 8-10 hours and takes about 3 days each way.

• RickinDutch's Profile Photo

by RickinDutch Online Now Mar 12, 2013 at 9:25 AM

Here is the ferry's website:
    http://www.dot.state.ak.us/amhs/

You can search by month and port to get a feel for the system. SE Alaska, where Sitka is, is the envy of the rest of the state for their excellent ferry service. Kodiak isn't bad, but Juneau has great service all around SE Alaska. They are the hub,

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines