Siracusa Travel Answers

change location

Brits or Americans in Ortigia ? Siracusa area to meet up with Maine couple Feb or Mar 06

by dtravelbug Online Now Jan 20, 2007 at 6:21 AM

Hi, We are a mature couple ,visiting Sicily for two months Jan 26-Mar 28 2007... Would love to meet up with folks to socialize with. Our italian is very very ' molte pocco".But I will be practicing.It would be fun to have some local places suggested to us .We travel frequently and like to explore, but it's always nice to have someone point out areas to walk shop market etc.
Is there an easy way to say i'd like half a pound of ham ?
is it vorrei, metta/mezza kilo parma/procuito,por favore??
yuo can see we need help. I hope trying counts . D & D

Quote & Answer
4 Answers
  • Marianne2's Profile Photo

RE: RE: Brits or Americans in Ortigia ? Siracusa area to meet up with Maine couple Feb or Mar 06

by Marianne2 Online Now Jan 20, 2007 at 12:47 PM

Sorry, I don't live there, but I think you'll find Siracusa/Ortigia and in fact the whole of Sicily very delightful. In Ortigia, there's an excellent open-air produce market towards the north end of the island, with everything you could want from octopus to parmesan. Right across the footbridge entering Siracusa is a major shopping street. Also, great museum, Greek theater, and grotto in Siracusa. Since I'm coming back to Italy in April, I bought the Lonely Planet Italian Phrasebook ($8) and it is helping immensely in straightening out my continual mix-ups of Spanish and Italian. It has a little traveler's dictionary also in the back of the book. Good luck!

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Beausoleil's Profile Photo

RE: RE: Brits or Americans in Ortigia ? Siracusa area to meet up with Maine couple Feb or Mar 06

by Beausoleil Online Now Jan 20, 2007 at 8:59 PM

I believe you need to order in kilos, not pounds (or half pounds). You might want to check conversions before you leave. Most of the places we shopped spoke English and those that didn't seemed to react well to pantomime.

Perhaps someone here will give you a web site that lists kilo / pound conversions.

Enjoy your trip.

• Sjalen's Profile Photo

RE: Brits or Americans in Ortigia ? Siracusa area to meet up with Maine couple Feb or Mar 06

by Sjalen Online Now Jan 22, 2007 at 6:49 AM

Of course trying counts! Siracusa people are very friendly and just by trying you will get a long way. We went to a delightful "hole in the wall" restaurant where no English was spoken but the lady prepared a most amazing lunch :)

• RE: Brits or Americans in Ortigia ? Siracusa area to meet up with Maine couple Feb or Mar 06

by siviri Online Now Mar 8, 2007 at 2:29 AM

Hi, I am an American woman living in Noto, Sicily ( Siracusa area) and believe it or not formerly from Maine. Trying counts a lot here and the people are very patient and flattered when you try the language. I love living here ( do not miss the snow!) only I miss the lobster! You can email me if you like lindasiviri@hotmail.com , I know some great places to go and my boyfriend speaks decent English. We always enjoy meeting new people.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines