Sintra Travel Answers

change location
nomad7890's Profile Photo

Advise on Sintra from Lisbon without a car

by nomad7890 Online Now Jul 8, 2005 at 12:32 PM

We are planning to visit Sintra taking the train from Lisbon. What I really want to see is the Palacio de Pena and the beaches around Cabo de Roca. There is also a place (Regalia?) where they had some history about Templars that looks interesting.
First, is there a place that tickets for the Palacio de Pena can be bought ahead of time? We did this for the Alhambra and it saved us quite a bit of time! If not, what are good tips to survive the bus packs?

Second, my husband has a slight physical disability (he walks OK, just not too much climbing - but a little climbing OK). I have looked on the web and have read that there is transportation once you arrive in the train station that will take you up to the Palacio de Pena. Is it apparent where to catch these buses/trains?

Third, what is the best way to get to Cabo de Roca - is there a tram or bus that goes there? I read there was a tram that went to a beach - any suggestions here?

Last, any good places to eat that are less touristy?

ANY ADVISE will be most welcome!

Regards,
Martha

Quote & Answer
2 Answers
  • mcb's Profile Photo

RE: Advise on Sintra from Lisbon without a car

by mcb Online Now Jul 8, 2005 at 3:04 PM

the bus goes up every 20 minutes.

see: http://www.scotturb.com/enindex.htm

they also have a bus, the 403 - see the map that goes to Cabo da Roca

if you need more info ask... i'll try to help you

catarina

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • xicomelo's Profile Photo

RE: Advise on Sintra from Lisbon without a car

by xicomelo Online Now Jul 9, 2005 at 6:23 AM

The tram you've heard about that goes to a beach is the tram to "Praia das Maçãs". I did that trip a few months ago (you may check my travel tip about it). It's a nice trip to do.

About that place "Regalia", I think you would like to say "Regaleira". It's the "Quinta da Regaleira", a very beautiful place to visit.

About tickets for Palácio da Pena, you don't need to buy them in advance. Just be the first to leave the bus and you don't have to wait to buy your ticket ;-) If the day isn't sunny, visiting Palácio da Pena will be a lost of time because the best thing in Pena is the great views you have. About the Palace, Quinta da Regaleira is a much better option.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines