Singapore Travel Answers

change location

Off to Singapore in a month

by NZd Online Now Jan 10, 2012 at 1:14 AM

Hi

I'm off to Singapore at the start of February. Leaving NZ on the 5th which means I have to go to college for a week still... We are there for 8 days until the 13th.

We will be staying on Scott's road very close to orchard road.

Anyway I'd love to go see some aquariums while I'm over there. I pan on going to Sentosa Underwater World aquarium for a day. I would also like to go to a freshwater aquarium where I can see stuff that I can't see here in NZ. We don't have freshwater Shrimps, crabs and have a limited amount of fish and plants here. So I'd like somewhere with a vast variety of these things.

While I'm there I would also like to get some beats by dr dre headphones. They are400+, and I don't have a credit card (parents do though) so what is the safest way to carry cash in SG? I was thinking of a money belt or something like that. And is there any places to avoid buying electronics? I've read some articles but would like to know what peoples experiences are.

I'm also in the market for a new watch. I've been looking at getting a Tag Heuer. Is there a place on Orchard Road that anyone can recommend?

I'd love to hear about people's experiences in Singapore and where good places to shop for electronics are.

Thanks in advance

Quote & Answer
4 Answers
  • vpas's Profile Photo

Re: Off to Singapore in a month

by vpas Online Now Jan 10, 2012 at 6:03 AM

not sure about your other questions, but regarding the safest way to carry cash in singapore -- singapore is by and large a very safe country and law abiding ppl. punishments are very severe so the crime rate is very low.however do take usual precautions and yes you can carry a money belt. orchard road is the place for branded goods.Takashimaya is a very famous mall where you get the top brands.it is in orchard road.
    have a good trip,

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Re: Off to Singapore in a month

by NZd Online Now Jan 10, 2012 at 3:25 PM

Thanks,

Should I be worried about counterfeits? Or is that part of the low crime?

I now have my sights on a new projector, are Best Denkis prices ok? The projector I'm after is 700 USD And 1700 NZD so I would look at getting one over there if it is cheaper.

• vpas's Profile Photo

Re: Off to Singapore in a month

by vpas Online Now Jan 10, 2012 at 5:42 PM

Dont know about counterfiets. but reg ur camera, try Sim Lim towers.

• Re: Off to Singapore in a month

by dadispen Online Now Jan 13, 2012 at 6:01 PM

You don't have to worry about handling your money but the safest way would be to put it in your pocket because no one will ever dare to get their hands there.

Sim Lim tower is a good place to shop for electronic things, you can buy your headphone there. Stay away from the electronics shops in Lucky plaza because you never know when you will get unlucky. I believe budget is not much of an issue for you so for your try Takashimaya or Ion Orchard.

Chinese New Year is approaching and a lot of shops are giving huge discounts now. If queueing is not a problem for you, you can go to one of the trade shows in Suntec City mall. Mind you people in Singapore are Suckers for big bargains so trade shows are terribly crowded!

Singapore isn't a place to go if you want to enjoy nature but still have something to offer. I suggest you visit Chinese Garden and Singapore Botanic Gardens.

Enjoy your stay!

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines