Singapore Travel Answers

change location

mosquitoes ?

by Centerspace Online Now Mar 25, 2013 at 3:49 PM

Is there a big problem about getting sick from mosquitoes ? And is there a way to help not get bitten ?

Quote & Answer
11 Answers
  • davidjo's Profile Photo

Re: mosquitoes ?

by davidjo Online Now Mar 25, 2013 at 4:35 PM

singaporemd.blogspot.com/200...

As you can see malaria does not exist in Singapore, but people have been treated there as they have been infected before their arrival.
    If you are worried buy a repellant such as OFF

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • grandmaR's Profile Photo

by grandmaR Online Now Mar 25, 2013 at 5:15 PM

Mosquitoes are attracted to the carbon dioxide in your breath and some people are more attractive to them than others are. Wear long sleeves and long trousers, and try to be in places where there is a breeze. They love damp stagnant air. Limit outdoor activity at night. Try not to let them in your bedroom.

• walterwu's Profile Photo

by walterwu Online Now Mar 25, 2013 at 5:28 PM

The odds of getting sick from mosquito bites may be small. However, there are Malaria cases from mosquito bites and dengue fever from daytime Aedes mosquito bites as with any tropical country.

The situation are usually under control here but do take some precautions like avoid areas with clusters of outbreaks (news updated) and applying insect repellants when outdoors would help. I have never applied insect repellant except when I was in military training in the densely vegetated areas.

1 member found this helpful

• IreneMcKay's Profile Photo

by IreneMcKay Online Now Mar 25, 2013 at 6:04 PM

I have never got ill from visiting Singapore just use a repellant you should be OK.

• walkietalkie2012's Profile Photo

by walkietalkie2012 Online Now Mar 26, 2013 at 3:15 AM

Singapore is so hot.. (and humid)... carry a sunblock lotion instead of mosquito repellent.. I live here all my life never once use a mozzie repellent... but I have loads of sunblock lotions... but if u are worried and intend to spend lots of times in the forest (there aren't many here), u can buy spray and patches at Watsons or Guradian pharmacies...

• ll_angel86's Profile Photo

by ll_angel86 Online Now Mar 26, 2013 at 4:28 AM

I think unless you go trekking or places like Pulau Ubin then you might need to worry. Otherwise, Singapore is pretty safe from the mosquitoes. Most attractions are clean and well taken care of and the shopping areas are mostly air-conditioned. For prevention, you can wear long pants , long sleeve and spray yourself with mosquito repellant (if you are indeed going trekking).

by walkietalkie2012 Online Now Mar 26, 2013 at 6:13 AM

just we warned u will look out of place wearing long sleeve in Pulau Ubin.. haha.. the national attire here is t-shirt, shorts & slippers or flip-flop..

• ll_angel86's Profile Photo

by ll_angel86 Online Now Mar 26, 2013 at 6:42 AM

walkietalkie2012 wrote:
    just we warned u will look out of place wearing long sleeve in Pulau Ubin.. haha.. the national attire here is t-shirt, shorts & slippers or flip-flop..

haha..that is true! It's really too hot these days to wear long pants...

• grandmaR's Profile Photo

by grandmaR Online Now Mar 26, 2013 at 7:52 AM

denim trousers are hot and heavy. Light weight loose trousers or shirt keep the sun off your legs (in addition to the mosquitoes) . Keeping the sun off you reduces radiant heat and keeps you cooler.

I don't have the body type to wear shorts and never wear them and I think people who have to look at me would be happy with my choice. Besides, I don't really care whether I look out of place or not - I'm a visitor so I AM out of place (and usually a visitor with a big camera so obviously not a local).

by walkietalkie2012 Online Now Mar 26, 2013 at 8:41 AM

whether its long or short sleeve... yes, best to wear light weight cotton... otherwise u will get toasted.. make sure drink plenty of water too, carry a water bottle... heat exhaustion & fatigue can be serious...

• Re: mosquitoes ?

by suaviter Online Now Mar 29, 2013 at 6:45 PM

Generally mosquitoes in Singapore are friendly to tourists and don't bite them. Seriously the mosquito-related incidents are confined to certain residential areas in Singapore.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines