Singapore Travel Answers

change location

Arriving from the US at 1:30am but cruise doesn't depart until 10pm

by Krslide1 Online Now Mar 11, 2013 at 7:58 PM

My husband and I are arriving on 5/11 from the US and starting our trip with a 7 day cruise. However, our cruise doesn't leave until 10pm. Any suggestions on what to do before embarking? I'm sure we will be wide awake as we will still be on US time. Not sure it will be worth it to get a cheap hotel, but also don't feel like lugging around our luggage. Any suggestions?

Quote & Answer
9 Answers
  • walkietalkie2012's Profile Photo

Re: Arriving from the US at 1:30am but cruise doesn't depart until 10pm

by walkietalkie2012 Online Now Mar 11, 2013 at 8:21 PM

u can stay at the airport transit hotel. The price is about $80 for a block of 6 hrs. Then in the morning u can explore the city a bit.
    changiairport.com/in-transit...

Though I would think staying in hotel in town would be better. Hotels can keep your lugagge even after u have checked out. Reasonable 3*ish hotel is Ibis Bencoolen. U may want to check V Lavender which is just above Lavender MRT station.

Note that there are two cruise centres here. Make sure u go to the right one.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • lynnehamman's Profile Photo

by lynnehamman Online Now Mar 11, 2013 at 8:23 PM

Krslide1 wrote:
    My husband and I are arriving on 5/11 from the US and starting our trip with a 7 day cruise. However, our cruise doesn't leave until 10pm. Any suggestions on what to do before embarking? I'm sure we will be wide awake as we will still be on US time. Not sure it will be worth it to get a cheap hotel, but also don't feel like lugging around our luggage. Any suggestions?

Hi

Probably your best option (in my opinion) is to stay at airport hotel until early morning. Then take your luggage by taxi or bus to the Cruise Terminal, where there is a Left Luggage facility. You will have plenty of time to get into CBD and have a wander around. Transport by Taxi or MRT to CBD, go along to Boat or Clark Quay and have a Brunch or Lunch.  Then depending upon what time you have to embark make your way back to Cruise Terminal.The airport hotel charges by the hour, so it won't cost very much for a few hours, and you can have a shower, rest and be fresh for your foray into the city.

Pop in at the iconic Raffles Hotel if you have time- and enjoy a Singapore Sling cocktail...

• AusPinay's Profile Photo

by AusPinay Online Now Mar 11, 2013 at 9:07 PM

I would also go for booking the hotel inside the airport. But, be warned, make sure they know the exact time you will be checking in..iImade a reservation in one hotel in Bencoolen telling them we will be arriving late (meaning late night) i gave the date & we turned up, they said they gave our room to someone else as I should have said we would be checking in early "next day"...(despite telling them the exact date & time, they have their own concept of early & late...he,he..)

• walkietalkie2012's Profile Photo

by walkietalkie2012 Online Now Mar 11, 2013 at 9:38 PM

be aware if u decide to stay at airport transit hotel u cannot retrieve your check-in luggage until the next morning once u cleared immigration, so bring some change of clothes in your hand luggage..

• davidjo's Profile Photo

by davidjo Online Now Mar 11, 2013 at 9:52 PM

I guess you have had a few good tips on which hotel to check into so here are a few ideas for things to do.
    Sentosa Island
    Universal Studios
    Art science museum
    More info at the attached link below
    yoursingapore.com/content/tr...

• lynnehamman's Profile Photo

by lynnehamman Online Now Mar 11, 2013 at 10:52 PM

AusPinay wrote:
    I would also go for booking the hotel inside the airport. But, be warned, make sure they know the exact time you will be checking in..iImade a reservation in one hotel in Bencoolen telling them we will be arriving late (meaning late night) i gave the date & we turned up, they said they gave our room to someone else as I should have said we would be checking in early "next day"...(despite telling them the exact date & time, they have their own concept of early & late...he,he..)

There are actually two hotels at the airport- Crown Plaza Changi & Ambassador. We have used both without pre-booking. MOST travellers go into the city, or rest in one of the 'Quiet Rooms'

• muratkorman's Profile Photo

by muratkorman Online Now Mar 12, 2013 at 1:07 AM

Considering your late arrival, airport hotel is the best to gather your energy for the next day. If I had just one day to enjoy Singapore, I would cover a boat cruise in Singapore River, a lunch at Clarke Quay or Boat Quay (such as chili crab), a ride in Singapore Flyer, a visit to Chinatown, a visit to Little India, a dinner at La Pau Sat in CBD (such as satay) and heading back to cruise terminal. You may squeeze in Botanical Gardens if you are into nature or walk along Orchard Road if you are into shopping. You can find all relate dinfo and more in my Singapore page.
    "My new stop Singapore" - Singapore by muratkorman

• ll_angel86's Profile Photo

by ll_angel86 Online Now Mar 12, 2013 at 7:52 AM

I'm not which cruise terminal you are referring to but if it is Harbourfront, then you can easily spend your time at Vivocity which is a large mall, where you can shop, eat and relax. If you want to see more of Singapore, you can take the monorail across to Sentosa island.

• sdq's Profile Photo

by sdq Online Now Mar 12, 2013 at 2:26 PM

Also check the cable car and go to the Jewel Box have a cup of coffee or juice as a complementary drink for your cable car ride there and than go to the beautiful Sentosa Island where transport is free so you can roam in the Island and visit Tiger Tower, Sentosa 4-D rides, The Universal Studios, Aquatic Park and I-Fly Sentosa etc just to name a few.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines