Singapore Travel Answers

change location
snozzau's Profile Photo

Chilli Crab

by snozzau Online Now Mar 6, 2013 at 3:56 PM

People,
Probably been asked a 1000 times but where in Singapore do you get the best Chilli Crab.
Also roughly what sort of prices are we looking at.
Thanks,
Scott

Quote & Answer
7 Answers
  • davidjo's Profile Photo

Re: Chilli Crab

by davidjo Online Now Mar 6, 2013 at 4:02 PM

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g2...

This link may be of interest to you.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • walkietalkie2012's Profile Photo

by walkietalkie2012 Online Now Mar 6, 2013 at 5:42 PM

if u ask 10 ppl u will get 10 different answers.. head to East Coast, the are a cluster of seafood restaurant there, such as Jumbo, Red House n No Signboard. Jumbo also has an outlet at Clarke Quay n No Signboard at Geylang. If u like to venture further out there is Melben at Ang Mo Kio n Ubin Seafood at Changi Village. Chilli crabs go by weight, roughly about $45 per kilo. If there are two of u a carb would suffice, if there are three of u get two smaller crabs. And don't forget the mantou buns..

• muratkorman's Profile Photo

by muratkorman Online Now Mar 7, 2013 at 12:32 AM

Walkietalkie has covered pretty much all about chili crab. My favorite restaurant is Melben amongst the others. But I also suggest butter cream crab which is as delicious as the chili one.
    Mellben Seafood: "Famous chili crab at Ang Mo Kio" - Singapore Restaurant Tip by muratkorman
    You can check my Singapore page resturant reviews for more info.

1 member found this helpful

• walterwu's Profile Photo

by walterwu Online Now Mar 7, 2013 at 3:58 AM

Yes, I would recommend Melben whose primary menu is crabs. There are 2 branches, one in 232 Ang Mo Kio Avenue 3 and the other in 211 Lorong 8 Toa Payoh. You can use Google Map to locate the restaurant and how to get there.

I, frequent the Toa Payoh branch and is, usually, crowded though not many tourists can be spotted there. One of their most popular being the creamy soup crab noodle served in a claypot.

The queue/waiting time can be quite long from 6:00pm to 8:30pm.

• Fudge's Profile Photo

by Fudge Online Now Mar 11, 2013 at 8:45 AM

I would recommend a place which is hardly ever mentioned. I've been freuqenting it before (have not gone there in a few years) But still I'm going to share it. It's called Chai Chee Seafood Restaurant. It's on Changi Road, a little way up from Masjid Kassim (mosque). Their price range was between $22-$28 per dish. And they had a variety of Chilli Crab dishes. I found their food fresh and proportions generous. Bests! And do share if you end up checking it out :)

• walkietalkie2012's Profile Photo

by walkietalkie2012 Online Now Mar 11, 2013 at 8:28 PM

We have been to Chai Chee Restaurant, or was that Kampong Chai Chee Restaurant? There are two similar sounding seafood restaurants near each other... We have been to both but I can't recall which is better.. yes, those little known streets restaurants tend to serve better dishes though they can be a bit of a distance for tourists..

• Re: Chilli Crab

by JustinYo91 Online Now Oct 17, 2013 at 7:14 AM

I've eaten at a lot of places but I think Mellben Seafood serves the best chilli crab. I always go to Toa Payoh branch though!

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines