Singapore Travel Answers

change location

Mobile Wifi Rental in Singapore

by Takeuchi13 Online Now Feb 26, 2013 at 7:20 AM

Hi may i enquire if Singtel or M1 offers the rental of portable wifi in the airport? I can only find www.rentafi.com on google for mobile wifi. Are they good or anyone rented from them before?

Quote & Answer
4 Answers
  • walkietalkie2012's Profile Photo

Re: Mobile Wifi Rental in Singapore

by walkietalkie2012 Online Now Feb 26, 2013 at 9:55 AM

No. Free wi-fi available at airport. There are also free internet stations especially at transit areas. If not u can also always buy prepaid mobile data sim card. They are available at post office, money changers and convenient stores such as Cheers and 7-eleven.

1 member found this helpful

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • mambojambo's Profile Photo

by mambojambo Online Now Feb 26, 2013 at 10:58 AM

Rentafi is a waste of time and money. Much better to use the free wifi in the airport, the wireless@sg free wifi network in hotspots or a Cheers sim card for the rest of Singapore.

Be the first to rate this answer!

• walterwu's Profile Photo

by walterwu Online Now Feb 26, 2013 at 12:42 PM

There are free for use internet stations within the airport for flight passengers. There are also free internet points for those that brought along their notebooks.

Within the whole airport premises, there is a free wifi service - wireless@sg. You need to register for the free wireless@sg. You can do so by purchasing a local pre-paid sim card and dialing *9434 and follow the instructions via SMS. The same wireless@sg is available in town and, also, major shopping malls throughout Singapore.

1 member found this helpful

• jacksonho's Profile Photo

by jacksonho Online Now Mar 26, 2013 at 5:37 AM

mambojambo wrote:
    Rentafi is a waste of time and money. Much better to use the free wifi in the airport, the wireless@sg free wifi network in hotspots or a Cheers sim card for the rest of Singapore.

When was the last time you used Wireless@SG, mambojambo? Wireless@Sg is no longer available if you do not have a LOCAL number, as the password for the new account will be sent to the handphone number. It provides good coverage as I've seen the Wireless@SG hotspots in most shopping centres, but try seeing if you can access Wireless@SG while on the 50th floor of One Raffles Quay, or while travelling in a taxi from one place to another. Wireless@SG just wasn't working for my boss when he comes over for his monthly visit, even though I helped him get an account using my own number.

I tried Rentafi once in February and the service was excellent. Even my boss commented that it felt really convenient to be able to access the internet anywhere, and the speed on the 4G network was really good. I take the train every morning to work and sometimes the 3G network is so slow, I can't even send my Whatsapp messages out. I did consider buying a prepaid SIM card since he comes by only once a month, but by switching SIM cards there was no way the office back home could contact my boss if there was something very urgent.

To me (and my boss), Rentafi's service was fantastic. Is it expensive? Definitely a bit more expensive compared to free Wireless@SG or prepaid SIM cards. But it was totally worth the money we spent.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines