Sinaia Travel Answers

change location

Easy Hiking (?) in the Bucegi near Sinaia

by global-nomad Online Now Oct 23, 2006 at 2:46 AM

Hu there,
I'm planning a family trip to Romania next July.
I would like to go from Sinaia by the cable car to Cota2000, then walk to Piatra Arsa Cabana, from there walk down to Pestera Hotel and Monastery and to the Ialomita Cave.
My questions:
* I understand that there is a chairlift I can take from the hotel back to Babele (and from there to Busteni). Is that true?
* How long will it take to get from Cota2000 to the hotel/monastery?
* How difficult is the walk? We have in our party a 64-yrs old, she is not very sportive but is game for anything... Or is this walk unsuitable?

Many many thanks!

Quote & Answer
5 Answers
  • radu_c's Profile Photo

RE: RE: Easy Hiking (?) in the Bucegi near Sinaia

by radu_c Online Now Oct 23, 2006 at 4:09 PM

Hi there,

Yes, you can take a cable-car from Pestera Hotel back to Babele Hut. And yes, you can take another one from Babele to Busteni.

The hike from Cota 2000 to Pestera is not very difficult, think of about one hour from Cota 2000 to Piata Arsa (I recommend not hiking up on Furnica small peak but taking the path that goes around the peak joining Cota 2000 and Piatra Arsa practically without without any altitude variation (the track I'm talking about goes on the Eastern part of the peak). This part of the trip will take about one hour.
    from Cabana Piatra Arsa (=Piatra Arsa Chalet = , lit., The Burned Stone Chalet :) ) to Pestera Hotel there is a slighlty more difficult part, is a continous descend but you have to take care in case of rain or bad weather. However, don't worry, is nothing really difficult. Just have good mountain boots, a rain coat (just in case), some water (you can refill from Piatra Arsa). This part normally takes about two - two and a half hours, let's say you might think of about three hours. Just as an idea, I descend this by bike (is true I reach in the middle of some cut trees and have to carry the bikes, but if you take care about not loosing the marked path you'll be fine )

Enjoy your trip in Romania !
    All best,
    Radu
    hiking in Romania ? http://www.outdoorHoliday.com

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • RE: RE: Easy Hiking (?) in the Bucegi near Sinaia

by global-nomad Online Now Oct 23, 2006 at 11:45 PM

Hi Radu,
    Thank you very much for the detailed answer. That's really helpful!
    So I think this is really going to take the best part of the day (calculating also the times at the cable cars, and stopping for lunch). I hoped we could do this AND Peles at the same day... :-)
    Is the Ialomita cave interesting at all? Or should we just turn back at the hotel?
    Thanks again,
    G-N

• radu_c's Profile Photo

RE: RE: Easy Hiking (?) in the Bucegi near Sinaia

by radu_c Online Now Oct 24, 2006 at 12:02 PM

Unfortunately is almost impossible to do all this AND Peles Castle in only one day ! This also because they close pretty early at Peles (the exact hour also depends on season).
    But...you could reserve the next day for visiting Peles, Pelisor and Sinaia Monastery.

The cave, sometimes mistakenly named Ialomicioara Cave (mistakenly because Ialomicioara River meets Ialomita in the south, after Ialomita leaves the mountains) is a nice one. It deserves a visit, especially if you won't have time to visit Peles Castle.

All best,
    Radu
    www.outdoorholiday.com

• RE: RE: Easy Hiking (?) in the Bucegi near Sinaia

by global-nomad Online Now Oct 24, 2006 at 1:59 PM

Thank you very much, Radu!

g-n

• radu_c's Profile Photo

RE: RE: RE: Easy Hiking (?) in the Bucegi near Sinaia

by radu_c Online Now Oct 24, 2006 at 4:21 PM

Unfortunately is almost impossible to do all this AND Peles Castle in only one day ! This also because they close pretty early at Peles (the exact hour also depends on season).
    But...you could reserve the next day for visiting Peles, Pelisor and Sinaia Monastery.

The cave, sometimes mistakenly named Ialomicioara Cave (mistakenly because Ialomicioara River meets Ialomita in the south, after Ialomita leaves the mountains) is a nice one. It deserves a visit, especially if you won't have time to visit Peles Castle.

All best,
    Radu
    www.outdoorholiday.com

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Near Sinaia