Sigiriya Travel Answers

change location
vample's Profile Photo

How long for a car trip from Sigiriya to Colombo?

by vample Online Now Nov 13, 2003 at 12:09 PM

How long would it take for a privately hired car for the trip from Sigiriya to Colombo? I am planning on leaving Kandy by hired car, catching sunset in Sigiriya and staying one night, visiting the rock area for the morning/afternoon, and then trying to get back to Colombo by that evening.

Quote & Answer
7 Answers
  • Umea6's Profile Photo

Re: How long for a car trip from Sigiriya to Colombo?

by Umea6 Online Now Nov 13, 2003 at 1:14 PM

Sigiriya is about 200 km away from Colombo. Hireing a car is defenitly the fastest way to get there, however the roads are not well maintained. So you can expect to need up to 3 - 3,5 hours (even more) to get to Sigiriya. It also depends on the driver you have. Usually they wanna make a stop, so the trip can be even longer. Close to Sigiriya are some other interesting places you might wanna check - Dambulla, Polonnaruwa,...

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • vample's Profile Photo

Re: Re: How long for a car trip from Sigiriya to Colombo?

by vample Online Now Nov 13, 2003 at 3:30 PM

Thanks for the travel estimate. I'd like to visit Polonnaruwa and relive some Duran Duran "Save a Prayer" video moments there too, but I'm not sure we'll have time to see Sigiriya, drive out to Polonnaruwa, and then back to Colombo in the same day.

• yumiyun's Profile Photo

by yumiyun Online Now Nov 13, 2003 at 10:33 PM

Umea is right - it would definitely take minimum 3.5 hours. If you want to make it to Colombo on the same day, driving out to Polonnaruwa is not advisable. I don't think you have enough time to see anything. Also, if you decide to climb on the Sigiriya rock, you need an hour or two. cheers,

• vample's Profile Photo

by vample Online Now Nov 13, 2003 at 11:02 PM

Thanks - that does seem to much for one day. I was planning on a couple days in Kandy to see the sites (arrive from Colombo on the morning express, another full day, then leave the next afternoon), leaving early enough to catch sunset in Sigiriya, and then climbing the rock the next morning, then off to Colombo afterwards. Maybe I'll just leave Kandy earlier that last day and go to Polonnaruwa, and then back to Sigiriya. It looks like its maybe an hour between Polonnaruwa and Sigiriya by car?

• Nilanka's Profile Photo

by Nilanka Online Now Nov 14, 2003 at 3:08 AM

Hello, It would take you about 4 hours to get to Colombo. This would also depend on what time you get back. Traffic builds up on weekday evenings. You must climb Sigiriya early morning by about 7.00. Anytime later would make the climb quite hot a tiring. It wont be possible for you to do any other places except Dambulla on the same day. This is worth a visit. Cheers, Nilanka

• Re: Re: How long for a car trip from Sigiriya to Colombo?

by terry2003 Online Now Nov 14, 2003 at 3:22 PM

I'd allow at least 4 hours - it could take even longer! It takes AGES to get down from Kandy. The roads are slow and winding. Stop off at a tea factory if you haven't seen one before. Also you can climb Sigiriya ealry in the morning but we went there at about 4pm and it was great. Not so busy and the heat of the day had passed. I'd stay over - Kandy to sigiyia and to Columbo is just not possible in a day. The distances are deceptive in Sri Lanka - allow about 3 times the time for England! It's great, but very slow - rarely getting above 30 mph. Take your time, stop often, rest, take tea, enjoy the scenery and the people. Terry

• bojomacaraig's Profile Photo

by bojomacaraig Online Now Jul 17, 2011 at 4:51 AM

Is there any air conditioned buses from Colombo to Sigiriya? and how much the fare? thanks

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines