Sierra Leone Travel Answers

change location

Recent Travel

by k&mtravels Online Now Apr 19, 2008 at 7:33 PM

Has anyone been to Sierra Leone recently? This year? Any information about safety, visas etc. ?

Quote & Answer
3 Answers
  • Re: Recent Travel

by anton64 Online Now Apr 21, 2008 at 11:03 PM

Hi, have not been there but checked with a friend who lives in Ghana and regularly tarvels to SL, his reply was:

"haven’t heard anything untoward lately, so assume that nothing is abnormally amiss. If planning to travel there, please do inform him about the travel by helicopter from the airport to town which is not the safest trip I have taken. Alternative is a 3-4 hour long journey by a crowded ferry. Typically the day he wants to travel in & out of Sierra Leone from any location say Accra/Lagos will be completely lost so minimum 3 days trip is needed to spend 1 day in Freetown."

So, looks liek all is OK at teh moment but in Africa things can change at very short notice. No idea about visas but guessing getting them from Ghana or Nigeria might be a better option than from the US or Europe.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • sam_anyroad's Profile Photo

Re: Recent Travel

by sam_anyroad Online Now Jun 4, 2011 at 2:01 PM

I was there in Feb.. Had absolutely no probs (except I suggest being careful with your things on the beaches close to Freetown.)
    GOt my VIsa IN Guinea, cost100, payable only in dollars. My blog from my trip is here. Feel free to ask any questions you have (have u not already arrived there)
    (anyroad.net/category/sierra-...
    Cheers, SaM

• basrah's Profile Photo

Re: Recent Travel

by basrah Online Now Jul 5, 2011 at 8:54 PM

I visited the following site and was able to get my visa sorted out over the internet in a matter of days. Much better than having to worry about going in person and wasting vacation time. Scan your passport, send them115 through paypal and a few days later you have a visa!

visitsierraleone.org/Service...

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular Sierra Leone Travel Answer Locations