Sierra Leone Travel Answers

change location

sierra leone safety

by tams1122 Online Now Apr 15, 2004 at 1:53 AM

my boyfriend is going to be posted to freetown, sierra leone for six months. am worried abt safety conditions. can anyone tell me how safe or unsafe it is?

Quote & Answer
2 Answers
  • Lariumboy's Profile Photo

Re: sierra leone safety

by Lariumboy Online Now May 6, 2004 at 4:44 AM

Hey Tams, the current conditions in Sierra Leone are quite safe. Your boyfriend won't be able to cross the street in Freetown without bumping into 2 or 3 U.N. soldiers. I've been here over a year and haven't come across any situation remotely dangerous. The only thing he has to worry about here is malaria. Now with the rainy season beginning here, I hope he is taking his Larium. -Peace

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Re: sierra leone safety

by nyabynghi Online Now Jun 3, 2004 at 7:53 AM

Sierra Leone is safer than it has been for years. I've just come back from there myself. A recent article on the bbc said that Freetown is now safer that many western cities news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/3... So i would really worry about him getting shot or anything :-) However, i don't want to sound odd here and i'm sure you and your boyfriend have a strong relationship but drill it into his head that he must not engage in casual sex without a condom. Please don't take it the wrong way. It's a beautiful country, but there's lots of poor people and sex is a way out for some. The temptations are great. As long as he stays away from that you really have nothing to worry about...only envy as i'm sure he'll be spending time lounging on one of Sierra Leone's very beautiful beaches :-) Check out my site for more info www.visitsierraleone.org for more info.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular Sierra Leone Travel Answer Locations