Siem Reap Travel Answers

change location

Travelling from Suvarnabhumi Airport going to Siem Reap

by mecca_inah Online Now Oct 7, 2012 at 11:47 PM

Hi. Im so confused reading a lot of things bout going to siem reap. Please help and give me a detailed direction on going to siem reap. We will be arriving in Suvarnabhumi airport on Nov.20, 2012 at around 11am. Can you help me on what is the exact reputable bus that can bring us to the border of Cambodia.We are backpacker travellers. We also plan to stay 2days in cambodia, if you can also advise on a good hotel that don't overcharge. Appreciate your help. thanks

Quote & Answer
3 Answers
  • eagerexplorer's Profile Photo

Re: Travelling from Suvarnabhumi Airport going to Siem Reap

by eagerexplorer Online Now Oct 8, 2012 at 2:12 AM

Stay in Shadow of Angkor II. A double room costs USD 25-35. There's a swimming pool on the first floor of the guest house, perfect for avoiding the humid weather in the afternoon.

I cannot comment on the bus from Bangkok to Aranyaprathet (the Thai border), as we hired a vehicle going there. Just make sure, however, that you have an arranged onward transportation. There are a LOT of touts in the Cambodian border of Poipet. Almost anyone can fool you. We were overcharged with the transpo back in 2009, and they wanted to drop us off in the middle of nowhere (not in the guesthouse that we stated). So, try to arrange through your guesthouse in Siem Reap for pick-up from the border.

Last tip, never ever change your USD to riel. Almost nobody accepts riel in Cambodia. They prefer your USD.

Hope this helps. Have a great trip. Enjoy!

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • SubrahmanyamK's Profile Photo

by SubrahmanyamK Online Now Oct 8, 2012 at 3:42 AM

I find the best transport is Mekong Express [u can visit their website to find the cost of tickets, and bus timings, etc.]
    u may see my home page for some details about Cambodia-PP

• davidjo's Profile Photo

by davidjo Online Now Oct 8, 2012 at 7:18 PM

From the airport you may make your way to the Mo Chit bus station in Bangkok where regular government buses run to Aranyaprathet (5hrs). From the bus terminal take transport for the 6 kms to the border where you can get your Cambodian visa and cross over to Poipet where it would probably be best to find a share taxi going to Siem Reap. if you are arriving in Suvarnabhumi at 11 am, let us assume that you are taking the train to Bangkok, then taxi to the bus station so you are unlikely to be at the Cambodian border by 6pm, so it would mean continuing the journey to Siem Reap in the dark. Whatever you do don't spend the night in the wild west town of Poipet, it's a horrible place, so stay in Aranyprathet if you want to break your journey. At Siem Reap there are many cheap GH's for around10, try find one near Pub street and the public market. Any tuk-tuk driver will find you a place. A few years ago i stayed in a nice one for4 but i am afraid i cannot remember the name. One thing that i like to point out is that 2 days in Cambodia will not be enough. I suggest 4 days, get a 3 day pass for the ruins and spend another day visiting the Ton Le Sap, you won't regret it. Good to rent a bike in SR to visit the ruins as you can go at your own pace.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines