Siem Reap Travel Answers

change location
1jabbar's Profile Photo

guide needed??

by 1jabbar Online Now Mar 3, 2013 at 4:42 PM

I plan to be in Siem Reap (Angkor Wat mostly), in July for 3 days. I "hear" others talking about guides. From what I can gather, Siem Reap to Angkor Wat is not too far (20 min.?). I thought I could take a taxi/tuttut there, then back again. Is there a need for a guide while in Siem Reap. Adice if you have any. Thanks

Quote & Answer
11 Answers
  • cachaseiro's Profile Photo

Re: guide needed??

by cachaseiro Online Now Mar 3, 2013 at 4:54 PM

You can visit the place without a guide if you like.
    There is no rule that you must have one.
    Just make sure to have a map of the area if you go alone as the area is huge.
    You should also have some transport inside the temple complex as you need to move a few kilometers in there even if you just want to see the very basic.
    Many people hire a tuktuk for the day for such a trip and some people a bicycle if they are fit and like to cycle.
    But be ware that there is very long distances between some of the temples.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • cachaseiro's Profile Photo

by cachaseiro Online Now Mar 3, 2013 at 4:54 PM

You can visit the place without a guide if you like.
    There is no rule that you must have one.
    Just make sure to have a map of the area if you go alone as the area is huge.
    You should also have some transport inside the temple complex as you need to move a few kilometers in there even if you just want to see the very basic.
    Many people hire a tuktuk for the day for such a trip and some people a bicycle if they are fit and like to cycle.
    But be ware that there is very long distances between some of the temples.

• shrimp56's Profile Photo

by shrimp56 Online Now Mar 3, 2013 at 5:06 PM

It isn't require, but a guide with a car will make things much easier. They are not expensive.

• Poling's Profile Photo

by Poling Online Now Mar 3, 2013 at 5:14 PM

A guide is needed when you want to hear the background, history, story about the sites. I have been there twice, neither time with a guide. I just hire a taxi (tuk tuk too hot and windy and dusty to me :P ). The taxi drive took me here and there, advised me when to take a break (depends on the time you go, I ususally rested a few hours after lunch as it was very hot to go around).

• davidjo's Profile Photo

by davidjo Online Now Mar 3, 2013 at 5:31 PM

I did the tour on a bicycle but if i had to do it again i would rent a motorbike. Try get to Angkor (6kms) before 7am and head to Ta Phrom first before it gets packed out. I did not hire a guide but if you are really interested in the history etc a guide would be advisable. I listened to several guides talking to the tourists and they know a lot, but whether you want to listen to a guide for 8 hrs it is up to you. It would be a bit too much for me and i was just happy to cycle around the complex and see the temples.

• GrumpyDiver's Profile Photo

by GrumpyDiver Online Now Mar 3, 2013 at 7:14 PM

I personally find that guides are not particularly helpful for our travel style (they rush us) and we will only use them if there is no other way to access a site. We do our research ahead of time and know where to go and what to look for.

In Siem Reap, we hired the same tuk-tuk driver that took us from the airport to the hotel and that worked out just fine. Some of the temples are a bit further out, so a taxi, rather than a tuk-tuk might be more appropriate.

The best guide box on the temple complexes is available on line and is free:

http://www.theangkorguide.com/

2 members found this helpful

• Robmj's Profile Photo

by Robmj Online Now Mar 4, 2013 at 1:06 AM

You certainly do not need a guide, Siem Reap to Angor Wat, is by Tuk Tuk which you can hire by the dozen from any street and street corner. I would think these days USD $15 would be enough for a day or most of day hire, for these guys to take you around a few temples and back in time for beers. The temples themselves are better walking by yourself supported by a good guide book for description. Others of course, may choose differently, all down to your preferences.

• AngMimi's Profile Photo

by AngMimi Online Now Mar 4, 2013 at 3:55 AM

No need for a guide, you can get free guide book from your hotel or buy a guide book on Ancient Angkor (very good book) for USD5 at Angkor Wat area. See the picture.

Hire a tuk-tuk to take you around the temple for USD20 (8 hours service). Happy Holiday..

• Homanded's Profile Photo

by Homanded Online Now Mar 4, 2013 at 4:33 AM

We have done Angkor with and w/out a guide, on Tuk Tuk and an AC taxi - same one who picked us up at airport and you can easily negotiate, if you find him to your liking, to be your personal driver for the time you plan on staying in Siem Reap.
    We hired ours for 2 days and cost us about USD $35.00/day.
    This was a bargain factoring several things, as Grumpy said, the distances between places.
    Angkor can be very hot and dusty, returning to a nice AC car with a driver and waiting cold water is a big plus.
    Often times you enter the complex one way and exit another - having a driver waiting for you where you exit is a welcomed sight.

We have also done tuk tuks...these, although a novelty are best reserved for short distances.
    Their exhaust fumes are choking and the road in Angkor can be quite dusty.
    Add to this the noise!

As others have mentioned, if you have a good guide book or hire an electronic guide to listen as you go you won't have a need for a human guide.
    We hired a human guide this last trip as we were going with friends who really wanted a person to explain history and such.
    We did not feel we had gained anything in particular by doing so.

Homer

1 member found this helpful

• poepat's Profile Photo

by poepat Online Now Mar 11, 2013 at 8:36 AM

• poepat's Profile Photo

by poepat Online Now Mar 11, 2013 at 8:38 AM

Hi from the U.K.,
    Please to really obtain the best time in Siem Reap hire a local tuk tuk driver. Ok so we had three days in Siem Reap and wished we had more. We had recommended to us a TUK TUK driver in Siem Reap, by friends who have visited last year. He was absolutely brilliant. We communicated well via email, booked several weeks in advance. He collected us from Coach Station and conveyed us to our hotel. He spent time discussing various itinerary options with us butt basically just wanted to show off his beautiful city and surroundings to the best. We took a full one day tour taking in a trip to the floating village on the Tonle sap lake, an ox cart ride through a rural village which was amazing, and we then visited numerous temples which were absolutely amazing. We ended up at a magnificent sunset at Prerup temple. Nothing was to much trouble. He listened as to what we wanted and arranged the itinerary for us. He wasnt pushy at all but would make suggestions. He spoke excellent English and was very knowledgeable about his country. Our time at Siem Reap was made by this man. Please, please, please, if you want an exceptional honest , genuine reliable person to show off Siem Reap, contact him. His details are as follows Email. maoda@live.com Mobile number. +855 9796 44066 web site He was truly an ambassador to his beautiful country. His name is " DA ". We stayed at the Angkor Rivierra Hotel, it was a threes star reasonably piced had a nice pool and about a five minute walk from Pub Street.
    Our third year here using DA on each occasion. He always comes up with brilliant new ideas of the tourist trail.....
    Have a brilliant time in Cambodia Poepat

1 member found this helpful

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines