Sidi Bou Said Travel Answers

change location
bf9mw's Profile Photo

Hotel recommendation

by bf9mw Online Now Jan 16, 2006 at 8:06 AM

I will be going to Sidi Bou Said in JUne (hot I know)and I can't seem to find any recommended hotels. I am not sure of the layout of the town Is the beach within walking distance from town? I am not sure whether to stay near the beach or in town. I would like a charming questhouse with air conditioning. I do not like four star hotels(too impersonal) but i do enjoy some comfort and local flavor. Anyone have any suggestions. I will be alone (though I am a 55 year old woman - I have had alot of experience in the Middle East but never Tunisia. Is it safe for a woman to be walking alone in the town during the day or elsewhere? What is the proper attire? Are sundresses appropiate or do arms need to be covered?

Quote & Answer
12 Answers
  • Soili's Profile Photo

RE: Hotel recommendation

by Soili Online Now Jan 16, 2006 at 4:15 PM

Well, I was in Monastir some years ago. I didn't see ladies wearing a scarf on their head in general - but then I noticed a young woman coming out of the building. She was putting on the robe as soon as she got out of the building.
    I take the dress code to be a good thing because when you show respect for another culture, you become respected yourself.
    It's up to you, of course.
    Why not get some light material and make long sleeved pretty blouses to wear?the sun will be hot anyway and you will tan through the fabric.
    regards,
    Soili

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • angiebabe's Profile Photo

RE: RE: Hotel recommendation

by angiebabe Online Now Jan 16, 2006 at 5:52 PM

hi, i went to Tunisia last month after travelling to morocco numerous times over the last two years. Tunisia is very modern, particularly in the north and the government made it official to not have to head cover - something like that so many women dont - they dress respectably and often i thought they dressed very fashionably and trendily - and does include tight jeans and tight fitting tops etc.

As for staying at Sidi Bou Said its a lovely village and there are some nice places to stay but its up on top of a cliff top so it looks down to the beach. i stayed at hotel amilcar which is a modern style hotel right on the beach below the incline to sidi bou said, but only costed 30 dinar for single in a huge double room with ensuite and breakfast. its a large hotel but all set up for summer beach holidays. i would still say itd be nice to stay at and then walk up to sidi bou said etc.

• bf9mw's Profile Photo

by bf9mw Online Now Jan 17, 2006 at 8:52 AM

Thanks Angiebabe for you hotel recommendation. Did you mean the hotel is all booked up for the summer already? Ouch Is a large resorty hotel or is one that has local flavor? How is that walk to the town from the beach? thanks

• theguitarist's Profile Photo

by theguitarist Online Now Jan 17, 2006 at 12:23 PM

Hi
    I'M TUNISIAN and yes everything angiebabe said is true, you have to understand sidi bou said, it`s like an elevated town that have water around it, you don`t need to worry about the walk to the water it`s not far at all, sidi bou said is very small town and everything is close by.
    TUNISIA is the most modern arbic country you`ll ever find, girls are following the fashin, girls kiss in the streets and wear short skirts ...etc believe me I grew up in TUNISIA and I went to college there and the girls got wilder especially for the last few years, it`s modern and the closer you go toward the north it`s more european, south might be a little conservative but not that bad.
    it is safe for a woman to be alking alone in sidi bou said, there is alot of tourists there anyways.
    By th way you don`t need to cover your arms, may be i would recommend not wearing very very short skirts if you don`t want anybody hitting on you.
    I hope I helped.

• FAQ_Tunisia's Profile Photo

RE: Hotel recommendation

by FAQ_Tunisia Online Now Jan 17, 2006 at 2:21 PM

Hi,
    so I won't describe Sidi Bou said again, nor tell u that u won't have anyproblem in terms of cloting choice, (sometimes u ll think that u will never dare wear some of tunisian girls are wearing, ;-) too exciting clothes).
    For the amilcr hotel it is always like that because people want always to come back when they come for the first time. so try to find a quite small hotell in the neighberhood or in the center of the town,
    enjoy ure trip,
    FAQ_Tunisia,

P.S: cheers "the Guitarist"

• bf9mw's Profile Photo

by bf9mw Online Now Jan 17, 2006 at 3:41 PM

FAQ Tunisa
    Since you know alot about the town of Sidi Bou Said. Can you give me the names of any hotels in town that have air conditioning and have some local flavor.
    Thanks

• angiebabe's Profile Photo

by angiebabe Online Now Jan 17, 2006 at 5:00 PM

hi again, i mean hotel amilcar is aimed at providing for lots of tourists, its in a nice spot on the beach so is very popular. phone 0021671740788 or www.hotel-amilcar.com.
    staying up at sidi bou said would be nice, its a lovely and phtogenic spot but is a way from the beach. i would imagine from looking in my guide book that the hotel i walked past and got a price from the guy looking after it but didnt look in is Hotel sidi bou fares ph 0021671740091 in a good spot just behind the main square.
    i had been aiming to check out hotel sidi bou said but as i had parked my car down the hill and it was a bit of a walk - 1 km- but still told its very nice and has good views phone 0021671740411

• theguitarist's Profile Photo

by theguitarist Online Now Jan 18, 2006 at 12:43 AM

To understand a little bit the TUNISIAN culture and how open minded here is a link not to miss and click on the links on the right side of the screens, you`ll see pictures of TUNISIAN MAN AND WIMEN www.tunislanuit.com
    by the way has anybody seen the TUNISIAN TOP MODEL CONTEST OF 2005 IT WOULD`VE BLOWN ANYBODY`S MIND AWAY.

by FAQ_Tunisia Online Now Jan 18, 2006 at 4:45 AM

Hi,
    oh, for sure that will be of my pleasure to answer ure question, for the moment I found u some links on the net and picked them in english, but on place I have to go by myself, I don't have any name of hotel in mind now, I have to remind there in sidi bou said, so may be during this week, ok; ;-)
    here are the links. (the dar said hotel is well renowed.)
    http://www.darsaid.com.tn/ www.aspectsoftunisia.co.uk/holidays-to-tunisia/tunis-carthage-sidi-bou-said.asp
    (the best link)tunisiafirst.co.uk/resorts/c...

I hope this was enoug I will try to find more details this week.
    FAQ_Tunisia

• bf9mw's Profile Photo

by bf9mw Online Now Jan 18, 2006 at 6:48 AM

Dear FAQ-Tunisa
    I have looked at your sites and love the darsaid hotel: however I think these hotels are too much money for me. I appreciate all the work you have done for me but can you suggest any hotels that are a little less expensive. A lovely small quest house with air/conditioning and maybe pool. I wish i had the money for these hotels. How extraordinary they are. Thanks for all your work.

by FAQ_Tunisia Online Now Jan 18, 2006 at 1:43 PM

Hi,
    Oh, I don't know the combination u ask for, mmm, a hotel with AC and swim pool and not more than 3*, may be I don't know, ;-). Oh as i said I will try to have a look around in sidi bou said during this week, because I hope this will be done before sunday, i have a busy week, and i live in the other side of the city of tunis, so is not a steady destination for me.
    I will try my best, but there is another alternative, why don't look for a small flat there, i mean summer flat with AC, TV, dish reciever, near of the beach, this will depend of how much time u ll spend and the period u ll come in. In june the prices are relatively lower than in July and august. If u think it can be done, just let me know, preferablely use the VTmail to send me these informaion.
    sincerly,
    FAQ_Tunisia

• Re: Hotel recommendation

by beeanna Online Now Sep 7, 2007 at 4:43 AM

Hi, did you have a good time in Tunisia? How did you like Sidi Bou Said? Im staying there now, and Im doing a research on the businessculture here.
    One of the parts Im researching is hotels/local hostels. Where did you end up staying? Did you like it? Would you mind telling me about it?
    Thanks!

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Near Sidi Bou Said