Sibiu Travel Answers

change location

belgrade to sibiu

by doldol Online Now Dec 4, 2008 at 10:51 AM

Hello, there.

I have a flight to catch in Timisoara, and thought 'why not have a look around Romania?'
To be honest, i have no idea about where to go and what to do in Romania since it wasn't on my plan. I have 7-10 days in Romania. I love just wondering around without aim(not sight seeing! no shopping!) and i heard place called Sibiu and Sighisoara. It sounds nice to me.

I am in Belgrade at the moment, i know there are train to timisoara from here. I am now wondering if there is a train to Sibiu or sighisoara from here and rough price of it. So far i found(from a comment posted in 2007) i have to change at timisoara and than continue to sibiu.
Also is it possible to visit Sighisoara from sibiu for a day trip?

It would be great if any one can help me with this matter.
Many thanks. Hope you have a nice day.

Quote & Answer
6 Answers
  • Re: belgrade to sibiu

by roundglobebackpacker Online Now Dec 4, 2008 at 11:43 AM

Hı. Sorry fırst of all about typıng mıstakes as I am usıng a turkısh keyboard. Second of all, I can`t help wıth the traın questıons as we had euraıl passes at the tıme of our vısıt but I do know that both towns can be reached quıte easıly by trıan. You may have to ask at the nearest statıon. However, Sıbıu and Sıghısoara were both places I vısıted well ın Romanıa. Startıng wıth Sıghısoara´ there are good hostels near the center of town; quıte reasonably prıced. When you arrıve there ıs a very helpful englısh speakıng tourıst offıce ın the traın statıon that should be able to help you decıde on one. The center of town ın wıthın easy walkıng dıstance; and you would probably stay near there.
    The centre ıs well organızed for tourısm and has a classy western feel to ıt. It ıs ınterestıng to see and there are a few cheap museums nearby ıf you are at all ınterested. What makes for a better day out, ın our opınıon, ıs to walk ın any dırectıon (we went over the tracks) and get a feel of Romanıa outsıde of the quaınt clean cobbled streets. A nıce managable sıze as far as a cıty wıth good accomodatıon.
    Sıghısoara ıs, of course, ınfamous as the bırthplace of Vlad tşad (Dracula). There ıs a condensed cıty centre ıncludıng the place he was born, now a restaurant. Seeıng thıs, should you choose to do so, may take a couple hours. It ıs, however, beautıful countrysıde. Agaın walkıng around and gettıng a look at the more local Romanıa ıs a good bet. Charmıng beautıful area. We clımbed up to a graveyard on the sıde of the mountaın. If you choose to go there are at least three hostels wıthıng 50 yards of the traın statıon ıf you turn rıght after exıtıng. There ıs also a tourısm agency ın the statıon, although ıt wasn,t open when we arrıved.
    I don´t thınk that the traıns would offer a reasonable day trıp between these two stops. However, you could always check wıth the statıons upon arrıval. Everythıng ıs cold and quıet thıs tıme of year, whıch has ıtŞs pluses and negatıves.
    Good luck!

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Re: belgrade to sibiu

by doldol Online Now Dec 4, 2008 at 12:12 PM

Hello, thanks for your reply.

I tried my best to read your message, but it seems almost impossible!:D
    As far as i understood was train station is near from town center, i should find a hostel to stay one night. and people are nice.....hope i got it right:)

Thank you for helping me.
    Good night.

• kopvas's Profile Photo

Re: belgrade to sibiu

by kopvas Online Now Dec 4, 2008 at 12:19 PM

If you intend to stay (and travel) in Romania for 7-10 days you may consider Balkan flexi pass - it is cheap way to travel in the whole region (plus you can use it on Belgrade-Timisoara route)- serbianrailways.com/active/e...
    Here is the official website of Romanian rail - http://www.cfr.ro/ (but unfortunately timetable seems not working at the moment), plus you can always check timetable in Europe on DB website - reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/qu...

Sibiu is quite far from Timisoara, so it would be difficult to make a day trip there, but still it is possible...

• kiwi's Profile Photo

belgrade to sibiu

by kiwi Online Now Dec 4, 2008 at 1:14 PM

Translation (sorry if any errors) of member "roundglobebackpacker"s post:
    Hi. Sorry first of all about typing mistakes as I am using a turkish keyboard. Second of all, I can`t help with the train questions as we had eurail passes at the time of our visit but I do know that both towns can be reached quite easily by trian. You may have to ask at the nearest station. However, Sibiu and Sighisoara were both places I visited well in Romania. Starting with Sighisoara´ there are good hostels near the center of town; quite reasonably priced. When you arrive there is a very helpful english speaking tourist office in the train station that should be able to help you decide on one. The center of town in within easy walking distance; and you would probably stay near there.
    The centre is well organized for tourism and has a classy western feel to it. It is interesting to see and there are a few cheap museums nearby if you are at all interested. What makes for a better day out, in our opinion, is to walk in any direction (we went over the tracks) and get a feel of Romania outside of the quaint clean cobbled streets. A nice managable size as far as a city with good accomodation.
    Sighisoara is, of course, infamous as the birthplace of Vlad tiad (Dracula). There is a condensed city centre including the place he was born, now a restaurant. Seeing this, should you choose to do so, may take a couple hours. It is, however, beautiful countryside. Again walking around and getting a look at the more local Romania is a good bet. Charming beautiful area. We climbed up to a graveyard on the side of the mountain. If you choose to go there are at least three hostels withing 50 yards of the train station if you turn right after exiting. There is also a tourism agency in the station, although it wasn,t open when we arrived.
    I don´t think that the trains would offer a reasonable day trip between these two stops. However, you could always check with the stations upon arrival. Everything is cold and quiet this time of year, which has iis pluses and negatives.
    Good luck!

• Thank you guys!

by doldol Online Now Dec 5, 2008 at 5:45 AM

hello, there.
    I am glad to hear kind reply from kiwi, roundglobebackpacker and kopvas.
    Re-translations of kiwis' just made me amazed.
    Thanks for the all the tip about place and train pass.

Hope you guys have great weekend where ever you guys might be!
    Cheers!

• kiwi's Profile Photo

belgrade to sibiu

by kiwi Online Now Dec 5, 2008 at 1:31 PM

hey you are welcome. It was easy to translate, just that they were using a Turkish keyboard so coding was wrong for here.
    It was his words, not mine :-) Have a great trip!!

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Near Sibiu