Siauliai Travel Answers

change location

Hill of the crosses alone?

by Andrea7287 Online Now Jul 15, 2006 at 7:53 AM

Hi everyone!!

I am a 19-year-old girl you’ll be travelling alone to the Hill of the Crosses in late August? Is it safe for me to go there alone? I mean, is there usually visitors... and all the kind of tourisic stuff? Or the place is lonely?

Also, how can i get there? I mean, i’ll come from Riga. Are there any planned trip? Or i’ll have to go from Riga to Siauliai and after to the Hill?

Thanks a lot!!!

Andrea

Quote & Answer
4 Answers
  • dcp36867's Profile Photo

RE: Hill of the crosses alone?

by dcp36867 Online Now Jul 17, 2006 at 2:21 AM

I should be in lithuania on the 10th or so of august - the 17th. ill be with a friend though, and we havent decided where to visit. were thinking of the city on the sea. i think the crosses are near and would love to check them out. give me a shout if you will be there in the same timeframe.
    Dave

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • HORSCHECK's Profile Photo

RE: RE: Hill of the crosses alone?

by HORSCHECK Online Now Jul 18, 2006 at 12:39 PM

Hiya guys,

I will be travelling around Lithuania in August as well and I have just read in my guide-book how to get to the Hill of Crosses.

The Hill of Crosses is located 10 km north of Siauliai and 2 km of the road to Joniskis and Riga.

You can take a taxi from Siauliai for around 20 Lt

You can take all buses from Siauliai heading to Meskuciai (8 per day), Joniskis (8 per day ) and Riga (12 per day). Get off at the beginning of the 2 km tree-lined street to the hill. Look for the sign "Kryziukalnas 2"on the A12.

I hope this helps

HORSCHECK

• King_Golo's Profile Photo

RE: RE: Hill of the crosses alone?

by King_Golo Online Now Jul 18, 2006 at 1:03 PM

as long as you don't have your own car to travel with, you'll have to go via siauliai... we spent the night there and visited the hill for one afternoon - by taxi. make sure the driver waits for you! otherwise you might have a hard time coming back.
    the hill is perfectly safe as the usual visitor (at least 3 years ago) was a very religious grandma... ;) there are also organized bus tours, and some souvenir vendors selling crosses. pretty touristy, although 3 years ago we seemed to have been the only foreigners.

• yumyum's Profile Photo

RE: Hill of the crosses alone?

by yumyum Online Now Jul 19, 2006 at 7:14 AM

I've been there twice. During the day it's very touristy. There are a fair few souvenir stalls and a toilet. Travelling alone is not a problem at all but getting there. I wouldn't really recommend getting off the bus and walking there yourself because you will have the problem of getting back. First time, I got driven there in the evening by friends and last year I drove there and I had trouble to find the way and only did so because I had been there before. The taxi option sounds best.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Near Siauliai