Shropshire Travel Answers

change location

driving route help needed.....

by winkd2 Online Now Jun 21, 2012 at 3:04 PM

Will be driving from Keswick to Shrewsbury in late July.

Would like advice on a route that will allow me to make 1 or 2 stops along the way to see something interesting...( historic site, unique city, museum, park, etc)......

Is it worth a side trip to Liverpool or Manchester?

Will be doing the drive in a single day.

Thanks!

Quote & Answer
11 Answers
  • iaint's Profile Photo

Re: driving route help needed.....

by iaint Online Now Jun 21, 2012 at 6:10 PM

I'd stop in Chester. I was there very briefly decades ago and always wanted to go back.

Lancaster falls into a similar niche.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • leics's Profile Photo

by leics Online Now Jun 21, 2012 at 11:06 PM

I'd suggest Chester as well. It's a very pleasant town with a great deal of history and much to explore. Have a look at the VT pages about it. You could use the park & ride system to avoid wasting time navigating the centre/trying to find car parks:

parkandride.net/chester/ches...

It's likely to be quite a long journey, even though the estimated time is around 3h 20; the M6 can be very congested, especially around large settlements (if you are not using the motorway then the journey will take longer).

Both Liverpool and Manchester are vast conurbations. I personally don't think a side-trip to either would be worthwhile, because they warrant more time than you are likely to have available. Although both have good transport links, neither has an official park & ride system.

• rosata's Profile Photo

by rosata Online Now Jun 22, 2012 at 3:59 AM

Chester is a good idea and I have another idea for a stop before that.

Kirkby Lonsdale which holds a unique position on the borders of Cumbria/Yorkshire/Lancashire is a lovely market town with 'Ruskin's View' (painted by JMW Turner) thought to be one of the loveliest views in England. Plenty of choice for cafe or pub lunches.

How to get there:

Turn off M6 at J36
    Take the A65 signposted Kirkby Lonsdale (6 miles)
    When leaving Kirkby Lonsdale take the A683 signposted Lancaster/M6
    Rejoin M6 at J34

If you would like any other information re parking, etc please PM me.
    Hope this assists
    R

Read more: VT Forum temporarily unavailable

• rosata's Profile Photo

by rosata Online Now Jun 22, 2012 at 4:03 AM

Sorry, don't know how the last two lines ended up in my reply, please ignore!
    R

• leics's Profile Photo

by leics Online Now Jun 22, 2012 at 10:10 AM

It would be good if info and tips about parking (especially for Liverpool/Manchester) could be put on this thread, so others can benefit.

The 'Read more' thingie automatically appears if you copy & paste anything from the site.

• rosata's Profile Photo

by rosata Online Now Jun 22, 2012 at 10:46 AM

Thanks, Leics :-)

I think car parking in cities depends on the arrival route.

For Manchester I approach via the M61/A6.

The most convenient car park for easy entrance and exit is the NCP New Bailey Street situated behind Salford Station.

ncp.co.uk/car-park?cpid=8565...

It takes barely 5 minutes to walk to Deansgate and the city centre.

• leics's Profile Photo

by leics Online Now Jun 22, 2012 at 10:57 AM

That's useful to know. Navigating UK cities and finding car parking can be a nightmare (and inner-city parking is usually pretty expensive), which is why I always advise (and use) park & ride systems for day-trip visits. But neither city appears to have such a facility.

Although Manchester has the excellent Metrolink system it is not really clear which 'stations' have adequate car parking, which so far has rather put me off driving to Manchester:

http://www.metrolink.co.uk/

• rosata's Profile Photo

by rosata Online Now Jun 22, 2012 at 11:33 AM

I'll see what I can find out about the metro station parking.

• gwendar's Profile Photo

by gwendar Online Now Jun 23, 2012 at 4:36 AM

Hello ive read the replys thats been posted and all the advice is good,as to stopping of in liverpool/manchester both are very heavy with traffic.
    My personnel route would take in more rural stops,this would of cause mean useing B roads or the less busy A roads, but in saying that you could visit places like clapham or ingleton both very nice,the market town of clitheroe,comming from the north this would let you drive through the forest of bowland which is very sennic,comming further south my be a visit to the salt museum near northwich or a little further south beeston castle,as to where you are go in shrewsbury,the choice is vast in that area ,have a good trip and hope ive been some help.

• GrumpyL5's Profile Photo

by GrumpyL5 Online Now Jun 23, 2012 at 2:13 PM

Well I'm going to suggest a stop in Liverpool is possible as it is a small city and there is city centre parking (at various prices). I don't drive but the routes in/out are (as a passenger) fairly easy. you could decide to see just part of the city centre, or just the cathedrals. If you are a good driver you could try going under the river and on to my next suggestion ...
    Port Sunlight.
    Beautiful workers village (like Bournville but more beautiful) with an excellent large Art Gallery too. Not sure how easy it is to get to by car, although merseyrai links are usually every 15mins.

• Re: driving route help needed.....

by winkd2 Online Now Jun 30, 2012 at 10:40 PM

Thanks to everyone for some great suggestions...will do some research on each!!!!

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular Shropshire Travel Answer Locations