Shimla Travel Answers

change location
anitayusof's Profile Photo

TRAVEL TO SHIMLA

by anitayusof Online Now May 11, 2007 at 10:14 AM

Hello there,
I need some help. I'm going to India 1st or 2nd week of Dec. I'm flying from Kuala Lumpur to Delhi. Plan to take a local sightseeing tour in Delhi, Agra and Jaipur. Then, I would like to go to Shimla. My questions are :
1. Since I'm a budget traveller, I'm taking the cheaper bus - ISBT, not the luxury HRTC. Is this the bus that referred as always crowded and never on time ? Hope not. Do you know how much is the fare from Delhi to Shimla, and also the bus timetable ? How long is the journey ?
2. I'm thinking of getting to Shimla by bus and back to Delhi by train, to get more taste on India transportation. How do I get the train (toytrain?), how much is the fare and do you know the timetable ?
3. I want to go skiing at Kufri, for the 1st time in my life. Will it already snowing at the time I arrived there ? Where can I rent ski equipments and any idea of the rate ?
4. I understand that I can take a bus up to Kufri from Shimla. How frequent is this bus ?
5. Which is the nearest backpacker hostel to Shimla bus station ?
I'm sorry if I asked too many questions, and most on expenses, because I travel on a shoestring budget. Hee...hee...Thanks.

Anita Yusof
MAIL ME AT anitayusof00@yahoo.com

Quote & Answer
11 Answers
  • loose_motion's Profile Photo

Re: TRAVEL TO SHIMLA

by loose_motion Online Now May 11, 2007 at 1:36 PM

Hi Anita ,
    Yes the ISBT buses are crowded and well lets just say not clean :(). There are numerous private operators which ply the delhi - shimla route . An overnight 8-10 hour bus ride will get you to Shimla. Buses are definitely faster but the toy train is more fun. I havnat done the toy train myself but thats what most of my friends have told me. Its a good 8 hour train ride but I ve heard that with Shimla , getting there is half the fun.

Early dec may actually be too early for skiing in Kufri. Good luck with that. You may get lucky if it snows early :). I have a delhi page if you want some inputs about the city. About accomodation in Shimla - it wont be a problem at all. There are numerous hotels and prices range from under Rs 100 to over Rs 8000 per night. You'R good there.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • anitayusof's Profile Photo

by anitayusof Online Now May 11, 2007 at 11:10 PM

Thanks loose motion on the infos. Any other repliew are very much welcomed.
    Anita

• Anjan123's Profile Photo

by Anjan123 Online Now May 12, 2007 at 3:08 AM

For snow in early december, you might have to go much more interior.

ISBT buses will take about 8-10 hours. You can also go to shimla by train. Take a Delhi to Kalka train . Kalka is the point from where the toy train starts. Toy train takes 5-6 hrs but gets boring after a while as the scenery doesn't change much plus with building all over the route, it loses its charm. Suggest to take bus from kalka to shimla which will take 3 hrs.

Bus frequency is good ( lets say hourly) unless its really late in the night.

For train schedule / booking, try the website www.indianrail.gov.in The rail station for shimla is called Kalka. Ski equipment can be rented on site.

try searching for himachal tourism on the internet. Best wishes , cheers

by anitayusof Online Now May 12, 2007 at 4:23 AM

Anjan,
    Which train view is better ? From Shimla to Kalka or from Kalka to Delhi ? If I want to save time, do you think it's better for me to take train from Shimla to Kalka, and then take a bus from Kalka to Delhi ? How far is Kalka bus station from the Kalka railway station ? I was told by someone that if it snow in Shimla,the bus will stop operating. Ohhh....I'm soooo confused !!!

by Anjan123 Online Now May 13, 2007 at 10:41 PM

Train view : If you really insist on views and don't mond sitting in the toy train for 5 to 6 hrs, as compared to the bus ( which will take 3 hrs), then take the toy train from Kalka station to shimla. The toy train leaves in the morning and in the afternoon.

The Kalka train and bus sattion for shimla is nearby. Very less chances of heavy snow in December so need not worry.

From Delhi to Kalka, you can either takea overnight tarin, sleeper class on which will cost near approx. Rs. 3-400 or take a early morning Shatabdi tarin which is air conditioned sitting with beakfast included for approx Rs 500/-. Check out the website www.indianrail.gov.in for more info and revert.

Cheers,

by anitayusof Online Now May 14, 2007 at 1:17 AM

Thank you very much, Anjan. :)

by Anjan123 Online Now May 14, 2007 at 2:36 AM

Hey you are welcome. I am travelling from 17th May for 3 weeks to Europe. Email me if you have any further queries, although I will be able to reply only upon my return from trip.

If you need any other help etc. in De;hi/ nearby let me know.

Cheers & best wishes,

by anitayusof Online Now May 15, 2007 at 9:14 AM

Hi Anjan,
    3 weeks in Europe ? Wow...cooollll. Wish I can go to Europe too. Been there in 2002 (western Europe). Which part of Europe are you going to ? Have a safe n nice journey. Before you go, I need to ask you one more question. I checked the fare and I don't understand what does it mean by additional tatkal fare as shown below. Is it for foreigner (I know they call foreigner as pathkar, not tatkal) :)

Train Type SHATABDI Distance (kms) 309
    All units are in Rupees(Rs.)

Class -- 1A Class -- CC
    Base Fare 885 465
    Reservation Charges 0 0
    Superfast Charges 0 0
    Other Charges 0 0
    Total Amount 885 465

NOTE : Additional Tatkal Fare(in Rs.) 0 150
    Enhanced Reservation Fee for journeys originating from a station other than the one from where ticket has been issued 20 Rs. Extra (Reservation Charges)

• loose_motion's Profile Photo

by loose_motion Online Now May 15, 2007 at 10:02 AM

Hi Anita,
    Tatkal is a different booking class. There are certain seats reserved for the Tatkal scheme and usually there is no waiting for these. So , if the normal seats are full or there is a long waiting list for normal class seats , you can pay a higher fare and get a seat under the tatkal scheme. Its something like what the airlines do. It is however not a higher class . Hope this makes sense :)

by Anjan123 Online Now May 15, 2007 at 9:39 PM

'Tatkal' is the Hindi word of ' Instant' and as correctly stated by loose motion, it means that you get the last miunte confirmed reservation.

CC class means 'Chair Car' which is quite comfortable and you need not go for 1A class which just means broader seats and a little better food. On this sector, even if you book your tickets say 3-4 weeks in advance, you will get confirmed / reserved seat, so no need to go for tatkal which means additional Rs 150 per seat. You may find problem in getting a ticket issued from the internet , in which case youcan ask either your travel agent in India or your likely hotel in Delhi to do the booking and keep the ticket which you can pick up when you arrive at Delhi. In any case reservations open 90 days in advance in Indian train network.

For hotel option in Delhi, do internet search on ' youth hostel' which is located at Chankyapuri. This is a good safe hostel and will cost approx. Rs 300 per dormirtory bed with shared bathroom with hot water. Of course there are decent hotels which will cost you about Rs 700 to 900 per night.

Going to Germany, Italy, Switzerland & UK this time. Hope its good/great. Been to Malaysia couple of times , usual places like KL and nearby. My boss at a previous company used to be Malaysian Chinese guy and very good. He stays at KL.

Best wishes and let me know if you need any help although I may not access this site for sometime now.Cheers, Anjan

by anitayusof Online Now May 16, 2007 at 1:03 AM

Hey guys,
    Both of you had given me very clear explanation. Thanks a lot. To Anjan, Bon Voyage. I've been to all the places you mentioned. You are going to enoy it.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines