Shetland

change location

Did you mean?

Try your search again
    Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Be the First to Answer

• 3 nights in Skye VS 2 nights in Skye + 1 night in Inverness

Isle of Skye Apr 11, 2014 at 1:48 PM

My husband and I are arriving into Edinburgh on July 8th. We spend 2 nights there - and then rent a car and the plan is to drive to Skye on the 10th. We have 3 nights booked in Skye at the Rowan Cottage Tree House. We then have a flight out from Inverness to London on the 13th at 2PM.

My question is do you think we should do 3 nights in Skye or should we spend the last night in Inverness since we have a flight out from there on the 13th afternoon.

Also any suggestions on good routes from Edinburgh to Skye and any recommendations for what distilleries to visit perhaps on the way to Skye? My husband really enjoys Scotch where as I can be the designated driver.

Thanks in advance for all your suggestions!

more
    • charlesracine's Profile Photo

Cruises that originate from Edinburgh, UK?

Edinburgh Apr 11, 2014 at 10:32 AM

Are there cruises that originate from Edinburgh to mainland Europe or Denmark or Norway?

more
    • Isle of Skye

Isle of Skye Apr 10, 2014 at 1:46 AM

What is the most beautiful remote area of the isle of skye. we want amazing sea views with the possibility of seeing whales, dolphins,seals otters etc.

more
    • hotel in edinburg

Edinburgh Mar 26, 2014 at 11:27 AM

hi can anyone suggest a good hotel in edinburg central , i have 2 children aged 6 and 1 1 with me ,my budget is between 100 and 150 pounds per night

more
    • Archaeology

Orkney Apr 2, 2014 at 1:29 PM

I will have just 4 days on Orkney in May - want to see as much of the best archaeological sites possible. Will have our own transport. What would you recommend best way to make the msot of a short stay?

more
    • Isle of skye for 2 days

Isle of Skye Apr 1, 2014 at 11:30 AM

Is it better to hire a Isle of skye tour or one can roam around the whole area with public transport?

more
    • Taking a ferry with a rental car

Scotland Apr 13, 2014 at 2:57 PM

I,ve heard that it's not possible to take a ferry with a rental car. Could you tell me if this is right? We're going to travel all around Scotland and this would be a serious problem.
      Thanks

more
    • Scottisn Referendum & Impact on Tourism

Scotland Mar 28, 2014 at 2:18 AM

We are thinking of visiting Scotland around the Referendum date - possible itinerary - Tobermorr/Sky/Stornoway /Pitterweem = touring in a small caravan, avoiding all major cities - and staying on 5 star sites. What concerns us is will we be welcome as English tourists or is there liable to be some ill feeling towards us. We are completely neutral in our views. All we do know is that Scotland is truly beautiful and we wish we'd discovered it earlier in our lives

Many thanks

more
    • Edinburg and London stay

Scotland Mar 25, 2014 at 10:12 AM

Hi , I am traveling with my 2children to uk and have total 9 nights and want to split between London and Edinburg , can any one suggest how many days to spend in Edinburg and how many in London?

more

Popular Shetland Travel Answer Locations

• rainerfrank's Profile Photo

50cc-motorbike to hire

Lerwick Mar 13, 2014 at 9:42 AM

by rainerfrank

Does any body know an agency or station or a private person in the area between Thurso and John 0`Groats or on the Orkneys of whom I can hire a 50cc or 80cc motorbike (scooter or dirtbike or similar)? I would like to go to Orkney Isles for some 5 days. Please answer soon as I am going at the end of april Thanks a lot for careing.
      With cordial greetings from Carinthia / Austria,
      Rainer

1 Answer Mar 13, 2014 at 11:43 AM
    • Dress & shoes

Shetland Feb 17, 2014 at 12:22 AM

Hi, I am an Indian, coming to Shetland for 4 days in the end of March. What type of dress and shoes should I bring?

6 Answers Feb 17, 2014 at 10:20 AM
    • Shetland in September?

Shetland Jul 30, 2011 at 7:02 AM

Hi All
      I am traveling to UK and Scotland in Sept this year with my 3 year old and was wondering if it would be a good idea to venture out to Shetland at this time. We would be very excited to see some sealife and take a cruise, however I was wondering if the timing was way off? Looking forward to any help I can get on the same! Thanks in advance! :-)

2 Answers Aug 7, 2011 at 3:29 PM
    • Jarlshof ruins

Lerwick May 16, 2011 at 7:41 PM

We will be in Lerwick for one day with a cruise ship. We would like to visit the ruins but at the moment the tours are book.
      Is there a local tour company that we can contact to give us a tour of these ruins? And if so what is the timing and cost?
      Thanks

2 Answers May 17, 2011 at 2:18 AM
    • How to get to Jarlshaf from Lerwick

Shetland Apr 27, 2011 at 12:24 PM

Will be arriving on cruise ship on 7th June, and would like to know how to get to Jalshaf. Are there any buses? if not any other waysto get there?. Should have from 8.00-5.00. Many thanks for any help, Von.

4 Answers Apr 29, 2011 at 12:32 PM
    • Arriving by Cruise ship beginning of September, 2011

Lerwick Apr 26, 2011 at 6:21 PM

Hi, I am hoping that you will be able to help me plan our day in Lerwick. Is there enough to do in the town to spend the whole day? Are there van tours that a group of 3 could pick up in town? Is it a distance from the cruise pier to town? I have difficulty walking distances, so I would like to know. Any particular sights not to miss? What about shopping? I like to buy items that represent the culture and the country I am visiting, especially Christmas ornaments and decorations - any suggestions? What should we expect the weather to be like at the beginning of September? I am sure there are other questions I would like to ask, so I might log in at a later date. Thank-you for taking the time to answer my questions. LC

7 Answers Apr 28, 2011 at 12:08 PM
    • Arbuckle's Profile Photo

What's It Like Living in Lerwick?

Shetland Aug 13, 2010 at 4:52 AM

I'm sick to death of the (in my book) roasting summer temperatures we have to endure on mainland Britain these days - and for years now I've been looking enviously at the much, much lower temperatures shown for Shetland on the TV weather maps. But really how realistic is it to pack up and move to Lerwick?

I'm 6'5" tall with size 13 feet, so I'm worried that I wouldn't be able to buy clothes and shoes in Lerwick. I'm also worried that mail-order clothing companies might not be prepared to mail to offshore locations like Shetland. Then there's the question of whether there's any brain-refreshing culture to be had, other than pub culture. And do you have to fly to a major Scots city whenever you need anything that isn't run-of-the-mill? And are electricity, gas and petrol way expensive or not? Etc., etc., etc.

Care to shed some light? Anyone?

Many thanks.

9 Answers Aug 14, 2010 at 3:46 AM
    • NilsTheFreelancer's Profile Photo

Traffic between Shetland and Faroe islands

Shetland Feb 13, 2009 at 6:22 AM

Hallo, folks!

As fas as I know, currently Shetland do not have any air or sea links with Faroe islands. However, maybe there are, i.e., private yachts (or boats) who +/- regularly cross the sea with passengers in that particular route? Or any small local planes? Any ideas appreciated.

I'm planning my trip to Faroes and would gladly include Shetland, too, if it would be possible to avoid time and money consuming transit from Faroe to Shetland via UK (or anybody else's) mainland.

Nils

1 Answer Feb 24, 2009 at 11:08 AM
    • Accommodation

Shetland Mar 25, 2008 at 6:00 PM

Hi, another question, this time about accommodation.......I will be traveling alone and was wondering if there is an abundance of cheap hostels, private rooms etc on the Shetlands, especially in small villages?
      I like the idea of just being able to turn up somewhere and find a place to stay without prebooking.
      Is this sometimes possible? I will be travelling in June/July. Maybe a good idea to bring a tent in case I get stuck with no room?
      Thanks for your help:-)

2 Answers Mar 26, 2008 at 1:35 PM
    • public transport around Shetland

Shetland Mar 23, 2008 at 2:54 AM

Hi,
      I am planning to visit the Shetland islands this summer, and would love to see some of the more remote areas, small villages and beaches.
      I will be relying on public transport though as I dont have a drivers license.
      Is there an extensive and frequent bus service on the islands that would allow me to see a lot of the islands?
      And the ferries? Are they regular and have bus connections?
      Many thanks:-)

2 Answers Mar 23, 2008 at 3:25 AM
    • TheSingingPostman's Profile Photo

Where Can I Legally Walk in Shetland?

Shetland Oct 6, 2007 at 2:21 AM

As an England-dweller who's used to waymarked footpaths and bridleways, I always find Scotland a bit of a headache. Ordnance Survey maps tell the walker nothing and even miss out paths which do exist on the ground. I'm poring over the 4 Shetland sheets in the 1:50,000 Landranger series and not learning anything at all.

The big rugged open spaces in the North and Northwest of Mainland Shetland (and the north of Yell and Unst) look really good walking country, but how do I know where I can walk without risking a "git orf my land" incident? And how do I know whether the many streams which head seawards via cliffs and reefs are crossable?

Then again, public transport to the tempting areas appears to be almost non-existent. Do Postbuses exist which aren't shown in the www.shetland.gov.uk/transport portal? If so, where do I find the details and timetables?

And are there any good quality books explaining how to negotiate the various wilder zones of Shetland?

Many thanks for your help.

9 Answers Mar 23, 2008 at 8:13 PM
    • Hoorgi's Profile Photo

Shetland Visit In Mid June

Shetland Jun 11, 2007 at 1:20 PM

I am off to Shetland mid June. I am visiting some people, but am determined to do some exploring. Unst & Lerwick are definitley on the agenda. Anyone got any recommendations for 'Must Sees' in Shetland, or know of anything special going on at this time?

9 Answers Jun 19, 2007 at 4:07 AM
    • TomFoolery's Profile Photo

Shetland Folk Festival

Shetland Jan 8, 2007 at 2:01 PM

Thinking about making the trip up this year, managed to talk a few mates into it. A folk festival on a remote Northerly isle is right up my street.

Anyone ever been? Any tips?

Probably gonna get the Northlink ferry from Aberdeen on the Wednesday night. Does it get busy? Will accomodation be an issue? Probably be camping and would just hope to turn up without booking anything.

4 Answers Jan 25, 2007 at 1:33 PM
    • Fair Isle Cemetery

Fair Isle Jul 9, 2006 at 10:53 AM

Does anyone know how many existent cemeteries there are on Fair Isle? Has anyone surveyed the memorial stones or are there records of those who are buried? I am a descendant of some of those who left in the 1830s and would very much appreciate any information.

Thanks,

Phil Pursley

for more information on my Fair Isle ancestors check out my Home Page at
      familytreemaker.genealogy.co...

1 Answer Jul 9, 2006 at 11:19 AM
    • patsplace02's Profile Photo

unst

Shetland Jan 10, 2005 at 9:52 PM

has anybody any information about unst in the shetland isles, and which are the closest islands to it. How do we travel there from South Australia? thanks for your info. Pat

6 Answers Mar 29, 2006 at 4:53 PM
    • Broekie's Profile Photo

How much time in Zetland?

Shetland Apr 17, 2004 at 4:52 PM

Dear friends, Currently I'm planning my summer holidays. This will be 3 weeks in Aug/Sep. My eye is on Zetland, but I'm not sure how much time to spend there. Since my travel arrangements would involve ferry trips from Amsterdam-Newcastle and Aberdeen-Lerwick, a combination Highlands/Shetland would be possible. I would go by car so I'm not dependent on public transport. Furthermore I'm an early bird, so the day would be used effectively. My query: what ratio Highlands/Zetland would you suggest and WHY? Many thanks in advance, Gerard

1 Answer Apr 27, 2004 at 4:46 AM
    • glenn57's Profile Photo

flights to the Shetlands

Shetland Mar 24, 2004 at 4:27 AM

What airlines fly to the Shetlands ?

2 Answers Apr 1, 2004 at 8:20 AM
    • MILES

Lerwick Jun 26, 2003 at 5:22 AM

HOW MANY MILES FROM LERWICK SHETLAND TO KILMARNOCK

2 Answers Jun 26, 2003 at 6:00 AM
    • daarth's Profile Photo

Anybody been here?

Fair Isle Mar 14, 2003 at 2:56 AM

Would like to hear from any other VT'ers that have been to this fantastic Island in the Atlantic!

13 Answers Nov 27, 2004 at 6:23 PM