Shetland Travel Answers

change location
Arbuckle's Profile Photo

What's It Like Living in Lerwick?

by Arbuckle Online Now Aug 13, 2010 at 4:52 AM

I'm sick to death of the (in my book) roasting summer temperatures we have to endure on mainland Britain these days - and for years now I've been looking enviously at the much, much lower temperatures shown for Shetland on the TV weather maps. But really how realistic is it to pack up and move to Lerwick?

I'm 6'5" tall with size 13 feet, so I'm worried that I wouldn't be able to buy clothes and shoes in Lerwick. I'm also worried that mail-order clothing companies might not be prepared to mail to offshore locations like Shetland. Then there's the question of whether there's any brain-refreshing culture to be had, other than pub culture. And do you have to fly to a major Scots city whenever you need anything that isn't run-of-the-mill? And are electricity, gas and petrol way expensive or not? Etc., etc., etc.

Care to shed some light? Anyone?

Many thanks.

Quote & Answer
9 Answers
  • IanMacPhail's Profile Photo

Re: What's It Like Living in Lerwick?

by IanMacPhail Online Now Aug 13, 2010 at 6:13 AM

It`s so light that in the summer the people need to shed some dark. According to BBC Reporting Scotland people would be delighted with petrol prices that we have on the mainland.
    At least tall people can spread out in Shetland.
    Have you tried Motherwell? It has always been freezing when I`ve been there.
    Anyway, the post will be fine. It`s in the UK and does not have the drawback of being a tax free haven.
    Have a good weekend. :-)

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • pfsmalo's Profile Photo

by pfsmalo Online Now Aug 13, 2010 at 6:18 AM

That's a new one, roasting temperatures in the UK!!!!!!

• bonio's Profile Photo

by bonio Online Now Aug 13, 2010 at 7:17 AM

Currently basking in 13c here in the tropical midlands!

• hawkhead's Profile Photo

by hawkhead Online Now Aug 13, 2010 at 8:12 AM

Roasting temperatures! Well, that's one interpretation! You know, Shetlanders are from Viking stock and aren't midgets. Nor is it Outer Mongolia! Of course,mail-order will reach you; on occasion you might have to pay an extra charge but not for everything. Petrol is always more expensive off-shore, as it is in the Highlands, but you're not exactly going to be using gallons of the stuff. Gas and electricity is the same price as the mainland, just depends on which supplier you use.
    A lot of people move to Shetland and the Orkneys and manage to survive - somehow. They run all manner of businesses via the internet. they run all manner of commercial activities. The two times I have been to Shetland I found the social life to be vibrant and very diverse. I think before you consider moving just for the lower temperatures you should ask if you, yourself, are prepared for island life.

• Beausoleil's Profile Photo

by Beausoleil Online Now Aug 13, 2010 at 1:12 PM

Spend a few weeks in southern California and you will think England downright chilly. LOL

by hawkhead Online Now Aug 14, 2010 at 12:09 AM

Cor, Sojourner, talking about pot calling kettle black! Just a hair's breadth away from being insulting. Or are your remarks an attempt at some kind of humour (that's humor to you)?! If so, lost in translation. I refrained from jokingly saying that anything that caused one's Addidas (or other make) to stick to the sidewalk was likely to be chewing gum, just as I refrain from making any remarks about how one can tell when Americans have arrived in town...... Fyi, I have been in California when it has been darned chilly.

• Arbuckle's Profile Photo

by Arbuckle Online Now Aug 14, 2010 at 1:45 AM

Many thanks for the replies so far, both sensible and daft. And hello again, JohntheFinn, nice to know you're still in circulation.

No, really, mainland UK temperatures are way too hot for me these days. Every year when we reach May, I feel like packing up and moving to the Arctic Circle, returning only in November when there's some nice sleet and hail to be had. If it were realistic to move to Svalbad I would move there, believe me. I didn't have temperature problems till I was 23, but they've got worse every year since then and having to put up with temperatures above 14 degrees Centigrade is very unpleasant for me these days. Even if I rode around in the back of a refrigerated truck like Mr Freeze, I'd still have to emerge from it occasionally....so really I have no choice but to think of moving to Lerwick. Even Caithness is too hot by comparison.

Okay, so I'd have to set up an e-business. Maybe I could create an online support group for weirdos like myself....

• Britannia2's Profile Photo

by Britannia2 Online Now Aug 14, 2010 at 2:44 AM

Well at least you did not ask about naturism in Norway on your annual question this year.

by hawkhead Online Now Aug 14, 2010 at 3:46 AM

At least that would solve the problem of "dress code" - see recent posting in Norway forum!!

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular Shetland Travel Answer Locations