Shetland Travel Answers

change location

Accommodation

by penerod Online Now Mar 25, 2008 at 6:00 PM

Hi, another question, this time about accommodation.......I will be traveling alone and was wondering if there is an abundance of cheap hostels, private rooms etc on the Shetlands, especially in small villages?
I like the idea of just being able to turn up somewhere and find a place to stay without prebooking.
Is this sometimes possible? I will be travelling in June/July. Maybe a good idea to bring a tent in case I get stuck with no room?
Thanks for your help:-)

Quote & Answer
2 Answers
  • Suet's Profile Photo

Re: Accommodation

by Suet Online Now Mar 26, 2008 at 6:04 AM

http://www.visitshetland.com/

There is no way I would take a tent to the Shetland Isles! the weather is unpredictable and you really do not want to spend the night in cold wet conditions, that is what sitting in front of a fire drinking whisky is for!

If you get calm clear days, however, it is truly empty and spectacular, the wildlife is amazing and it is unspoilt. If you plan to go for long rambling walks, take a compass and a map, just as back up so you don't get lost. The more technologically minded of us might carry our sat nav gadget and set it to *walking*.

The above site gives you a comprehensive overview of what is going on in Shetland with a downloadable 2008 Guide or one you can browse online.

Hope this helps.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Re: Accommodation

by penerod Online Now Mar 26, 2008 at 1:35 PM

Yeah staying in a tent wouldn't be ideal, but I was thinking if I get stranded without a room one night I may have to resort to that.
    Thanks for the advice, I will look at that website to look at the availablity of accommodation in more remote area.
    Thanks again

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular Shetland Travel Answer Locations