Shetland Travel Answers

change location
TomFoolery's Profile Photo

Shetland Folk Festival

by TomFoolery Online Now Jan 8, 2007 at 2:01 PM

Thinking about making the trip up this year, managed to talk a few mates into it. A folk festival on a remote Northerly isle is right up my street.

Anyone ever been? Any tips?

Probably gonna get the Northlink ferry from Aberdeen on the Wednesday night. Does it get busy? Will accomodation be an issue? Probably be camping and would just hope to turn up without booking anything.

Quote & Answer
4 Answers
  • RE: Shetland Folk Festival

by ADB41 Online Now Jan 9, 2007 at 1:12 PM

Hi,
    The Up Helly Aa is indeed the major folk festival, and you can expect all of Lerwick's population to turn up on the night. I would think that the ferry would be very busy in the run-up to the event, and accommodation in the town of Lerwick might well be an issue. I would remind you that it's obviously January, and Shetland is windy and can get very cold. You're at the same latitude as southern Norway. Would strongly suggest to get more firm advice from any VisitScotland tourist office (call in in person if in Scotland).

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • TomFoolery's Profile Photo

RE: RE: Shetland Folk Festival

by TomFoolery Online Now Jan 9, 2007 at 2:45 PM

Thanks for the reply ADB1 - actually isn't Up Helly Aa the viking fire festival? That is in January as you mention.

Sorry if I was unclear, I'm actually talking about the folk festival in May.
    www.shetlandfolkfestival.com/

Mind you Up Helly Aa is on my list - maybe 2008!

• RE: RE: Shetland Folk Festival

by MhariP Online Now Jan 24, 2007 at 11:55 AM

Hi

Great to hear that you are thinking of coming up to the Shetland Folk Festival.
    The dates this year are 4th-6th May (one day shorter due to circumstances outwith our control). Therefore, the best ferry to catch from Aberdeen with be on Thursday 3rd May. Thats when most visiting artistes and the organising committee will be on the boat.

PLEASE do not turn up without tickets - you'll only be disappointed! Most of our concerts sell out prior the festival commencing.

May I also recommend that you become a member of the Festival. This costs £13 and will make your concert tickets considerably cheaper. Most importantly though, membership permits you access to the fantastic festival club - with sessions, informal concerts etc continuing until the wee hours of the morning. That's where all the workshops will be too.

Our website is being updated over the next couple of weeks (the festival website that is) which will contain all the info you require. Actually the provisional line up is already there.

From Friday 26th January til 16th March you can apply for advance membership. The advantage of this is that the ticket ordering form becomes available to you a week prior to the general public (hence improving your chances of getting the tickets you desire)

Regarding accommodation - most base themselves in Lerwick - in B&Bs.
    However, there is also a fantastic youth hostel (which I understand is lifting the curfew for Festival weekend)

Hope this helps

Mhari

• TomFoolery's Profile Photo

RE: RE: Shetland Folk Festival

by TomFoolery Online Now Jan 25, 2007 at 1:33 PM

Thanks a lot for the detailed reply Mhari - particularly in regard to tickets hadn't thought that would be a problem but I'll get on that.

Looking forward to it!

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular Shetland Travel Answer Locations