Sheffield Travel Answers

change location
Maxus's Profile Photo

Hillsborough

by Maxus Online Now Sep 29, 2008 at 9:23 AM

Hiya Folks,

I am organising a training event in Hillsborough Barracks and I’m looking for accommodation for several people.

It needs to be a reasonable standard, safe etc and handy for the barracks (easy walking distance if possible).

I know the Garrison and that’s ideal but I also need somewhere else.

Thanks

Mark

Quote & Answer
3 Answers
  • SWFC_Fan's Profile Photo

Re: Hillsborough

by SWFC_Fan Online Now Sep 29, 2008 at 1:02 PM

Hi Mark,

I can't vouch for it personally, having never stayed there, but The Hillsborough Hotel on Langsett Road is close to the Barracks:

http://www.hillsborough-hotel.co.uk/

It only has 6 rooms, but it does have the advantage of having a microbrewery on site!

The 4 reviews on tripadvisor are very encouraging:

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review...

Another nearby option is Coniston Guesthouse, located just off Middlewood Road and just a few minutes walk from the Barracks:

http://www.conistonguest.freeuk.com/

Again, the 3 reviews on tripadvisor are very positive:

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review...

If you'd prefer one of the bigger city centre hotels (eg Leopold Hotel or Mercure St Paul's), then it would be a fairly straightforward commute to Hillsborough Barracks as the Supertram runs along Langsett Road and stops close to the Barracks:

supertram.com/uploads/RouteM... (see yellow line: I rarely use the tram, so I'm not sure which stop is closest to the Barracks, but it's possibly Bamforth Street).

If you're looking for somewhere to have lunch, be sure to visit Beres Pork Shop (quite a few outlets around the Hillsborough area) for the world's finest hot pork, stuffing and apple sauce sandwiches!

beresporkshop.co.uk/contact....

Enjoy Sheffield!

Jonathan

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Maxus's Profile Photo

by Maxus Online Now Sep 29, 2008 at 1:23 PM

This looks like excellent advice mate. The Hillsborough Hotel is within a mile of the venue and looks exactly the sort of place I’m looking for and the Coniston guesthouse looks like a good reserve.

Thanks (again)

Mark

• SWFC_Fan's Profile Photo

by SWFC_Fan Online Now Sep 29, 2008 at 1:35 PM

No worries, mate - glad I could help!

If I come across any more reviews or information on the local Sheffield forums, I'll let you know.

Cheers,

Jonathan

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines