Sharm El Sheikh Travel Answers

change location
Stroller's Profile Photo

Safety

by Stroller Online Now Dec 7, 2011 at 8:22 AM

Hi everyone, I'll be traveling to Sharm El Sheikh with my family on 7 December. I would like to know the safety and security situation there. I've just seen on the British Government website that "There is a high threat from terrorism throughout Egypt, including in Sinai. Security is tight throughout the country, especially in resort areas. There is a high risk of indiscriminate attacks including public places frequented by expatriates and foreign travellers, including but not limited to resorts, hotels and restaurants."

I'll appreciate it if someone who is actually there can advise me of the current situation. Many thanks in advance.

Quote & Answer
5 Answers
  • Stroller's Profile Photo

Re: Safety

by Stroller Online Now Dec 7, 2011 at 11:15 AM

sorry, I meant to say I'm traveling to Sharm El Sheikh on 10 December.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Wafro's Profile Photo

by Wafro Online Now Dec 8, 2011 at 12:22 AM

Tourist resorts normally are a safe haven, but never say never.
    Happy Travels,
    Ian

• ourluxor's Profile Photo

by ourluxor Online Now Dec 8, 2011 at 5:56 AM

Stroller, no-one can guarantee your safety anywhere in the world. If you would care to check out the warnings for the UK which some other countries give to their nationals, you might get quite a shock to find out just how dangerous the UK is supposed to be!

My wife and I have lived in Luxor Egypt since 2007, and we have never believed (or felt) ourselves to be in any physical danger whatsoever, even at the height of the revolution.

Of course there is danger here, but certainly no more, and probably a lot less, than that which you would be subject to in your own home town.

Government departments are always bound to err on the side of safety (and/or covering their backs, lol).

• June.b's Profile Photo

by June.b Online Now Dec 9, 2011 at 1:14 AM

If tourists are still coming to Cairo which most people say are not safe - I was just there last month - then it's a lot safer in Sharm El Sheikh. Just my logic.

• Stroller's Profile Photo

by Stroller Online Now Dec 9, 2011 at 2:29 AM

Many thanks indeed for all your thoughts and advice.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Near Sharm El Sheikh