Sharm El Sheikh Travel Answers

change location

TRAVELLING ALONE

by loobyloo1972 Online Now Mar 15, 2013 at 9:44 PM

Hi, I'm going as a single female with my twin daughters (age 9) at end of July, I have had a lot of people trying to put me off taking the kids alone, saying that as a single woman it isn't too safe and that I may be disrespected? Do you get pestered a lot when outwith your hotel complex? Also would my blonde daughters be a target?

Quote & Answer
17 Answers
  • Sinjoor's Profile Photo

Re: TRAVELLING ALONE

by Sinjoor Online Now Mar 15, 2013 at 9:48 PM

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Re: TRAVELLING ALONE

by OnlySmiles Online Now Mar 15, 2013 at 10:57 PM

Egyptians love and respect children :)

• sachara's Profile Photo

by sachara Online Now Mar 16, 2013 at 12:24 AM

I visited Egypt 9 times and was also in Sharm el Sheikh and Sinaï 3 times. I never felt unsafe or disrespected, also when I travelled on my own. And together with your kids It will even be better.

1 member found this helpful

• sachara's Profile Photo

by sachara Online Now Mar 16, 2013 at 12:34 AM

I visited Egypt 9 times and was also in Sharm el Sheikh and Sinaï 3 times. I never felt unsafe or disrespected, also when I travelled on my own. And together with your kids It will even be better.

• hosman_88's Profile Photo

by hosman_88 Online Now Mar 16, 2013 at 1:19 AM

Hi,
    I am a tour guide in Egypt, I may also add that people here in Egypt respect much families with children, so you will be welcomed and greeted almost every where you go as you accompany your daughters with you, so your daughters & you will be safe in Sharm El Sheikh, the only hassle you may expect to experience is where you go by shopping areas as shop attendants and vendors will try to grab your attention for business which actually happen in so many places in the world and for some tourists, they may find it an experience.
    So you are most welcome to Egypt.

• davidjo's Profile Photo

by davidjo Online Now Mar 16, 2013 at 3:08 AM

I suspect that you will not have any problems there as the local community is used to tourists and know how to deal with them, especially if you have children with you!

• greekcypriot's Profile Photo

by greekcypriot Online Now Mar 16, 2013 at 9:34 AM

I remember when we visited this place we were along with a group of 40 other people and we stayed at the Iberotel.
    From the moment we stepped in the hotel one by one got sick with diarrhea, pain in the stomach etc.
    The worse was that I had recovered the 3rd day and decided to join the group and we headed to St. Catherine’s monastery. I got dizzy and our guide asked the driver of the agency to take me to the coach to lie down and relax. The driver suggested that I get to the very last seats and he even offered me some tea. I had stopped in my seat before getting at the back seats to leave my camera so he noticed where my seat was.
    I was at the back but I had no strength to get up and see what he was doing …standing next to my seat at the front. I was so weak.
    The result was that he got nearly all my pocket money which was about 250 euros which like a fool I carried along. He only left me 30 euros. I only found out when we got to the hotel and saw my bag was mixed up and the money was missing.
    We called the agency and the reply was that the driver is very rich himself and he would never do it. I could not find my right, I was shocked. Something similar never happened to me before through the many years of traveling.
    I guess it is safe, but you should be alert all the time, and especially if you are with children you should avoid salads which they hardly wash well, and different other things like home made ice cream etc.
    You should also be alert of your blond daughter, you might see eyes staring at you all be sure of that.

• Dan30's Profile Photo

by Dan30 Online Now Mar 26, 2013 at 4:52 PM

Greek, i am sorry to hear that happend to you. I think in future best take a money belt, that what i do when travel around the world. Then you know money is safe.

• Dan30's Profile Photo

by Dan30 Online Now Mar 26, 2013 at 4:54 PM

Egypt in safe country but best to read travel blog read local news and also travel advise from government.

• greekcypriot's Profile Photo

by greekcypriot Online Now Mar 26, 2013 at 11:35 PM

Indeed I will. I got my lesson after this incident.

• Dan30's Profile Photo

by Dan30 Online Now Mar 29, 2013 at 6:16 AM

Greek, I got my money belt after reading some many story for toruist, travelling to Far East Asian countries, how money was taking away from them from hotel clearners and in Egypt i read stories how hotel safe money was taking clears also took money. Tourist Police look into to few cases, but legal system takes a long time, but at end few people won their cases after few years.

I sincerely hope next trip abroad is safe and trouble free.

• concord331's Profile Photo

by concord331 Online Now Mar 29, 2013 at 4:43 PM

Egypt is very nice and safe country for tourists
    Ahmed

• Dan30's Profile Photo

by Dan30 Online Now Apr 1, 2013 at 7:07 AM

Ahmed many VT memebers from western world aware that Egypt is safe country. But since last 2 years tourist from 2010, 14 Millon but today it’s only half to 7 million. Main reason tourist don’t feel safe in Egypt that why it’s only half are visiting each year.

Most International tourist went to visit country that has good security, I am afraid security is so and so. I am aware like city of Cairo same areas very safe and some areas are not. I believe in time ,I am confident that 14 Millon will visit. As for international visitor, just keep updated with news tour company and government web site. I am sure bit of common sense will make trip Egypt good one.

by concord331 Online Now Apr 1, 2013 at 10:32 PM

Hello Dan
    Thank you for your message
    We all know that aircraft / planes will never stop flying to Egypt
    There are a lot of tourists coming to Egypt everyday and we have many flights coming from all over the world
    I am sure from this information and i follow it
    It doesn't mean that if tourists number became 7.5 million if we compare it by last years, that Egypt is not safe
    I can go everywhere, any city inside Egypt without any problem
    Incident can be happen in everywhere around the world but people will never stop traveling to the country they are looking to visit it
    I hope that i could give you good advice
    Thank you

• Dan30's Profile Photo

by Dan30 Online Now Apr 2, 2013 at 3:31 PM

Ahmed, i can see you give open point of view. Let's hope things get better for all people in Egypt and as i said 14M tourist came back again.

Even when i was in Egypt few months after egyptian revolution as i said some parts of Cairo was safe but other parts was not. Incident can happen in many please bear in mind Egypt really has very low crime rate possbile that is why tourist was worried high crime.

I sincerely hope more International tourist Egypt. Main are visiting Dubai and Morocco, am sure Egypt will be able to bring it;s smile to the world again. I feel time is needed.

The only bad thing I read about Egypt was) American Iranian woman went Cairo at passport control she asked about her ethnic roots even though she born in USA) White Americans White Europeans was not asked the same question. Is that normal in Egypt Ahmed?

She did write she had amazing trip to Egypt – part from passport control, she would return back to Egypt.

by concord331 Online Now Apr 2, 2013 at 5:12 PM

Hello Dan
    Nice to hear from you again
    I hope that everything will be more than fine soon
    About nationality and Iranian people,
    They can travel to Egypt now because there was a convention held between Egypt and Iran to bring Iranian tourists for Egypt and Iran Air already started to fly to Cairo
    So no immigration control after this moment
    About European tourists, they can enter Egypt and sometimes they can get an Egyptian Visa stamp upon arrival.
    I hope that all tourists will spend nice holiday in Egypt
    Thanks

• Re: TRAVELLING ALONE

by tamersharm Online Now Apr 13, 2013 at 12:44 PM

dont worry Egypt its always safe not listen to any one enjoy with ur time in Egypt

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Near Sharm El Sheikh